Register Now
Euronymous53

What are the most important things in a game?

1. Protagonist
    The most important thing to me is to be able to identify with the protagonist. No, having the same skin color / gender / orientation as me has nothing to do with it.  I mean that they must be likeable, relatable, and most importantly have goals that I think are worth pursuing, the rest is superficial. 
  2. Setting
    No matter how good or relatable the hero is, if the game is set in an uninteresting, or restrictive environment it won't work.
  3. Realism
    It is important that the game follows basic laws of physics in all departments. Eg: having a motorcycle engine powered minigun is no bueno (yes I'm referring to far cry 6) Also weapons should have the expected stopping power, so no bullet sponge nonsense. I want limbs flying and minced meat after an explosion, not enemies emerging from the blast unscathed or getting up after two magazines were emptied into them. Let alone surviving headshots.

11 hours ago, m76 said:
  1. Protagonist
    The most important thing to me is to be able to identify with the protagonist. No, having the same skin color / gender / orientation as me has nothing to do with it.  I mean that they must be likeable, relatable, and most importantly have goals that I think are worth pursuing, the rest is superficial. 
  2. Setting
    No matter how good or relatable the hero is, if the game is set in an uninteresting, or restrictive environment it won't work.
  3. Realism
    It is important that the game follows basic laws of physics in all departments. Eg: having a motorcycle engine powered minigun is no bueno (yes I'm referring to far cry 6) Also weapons should have the expected stopping power, so no bullet sponge nonsense. I want limbs flying and minced meat after an explosion, not enemies emerging from the blast unscathed or getting up after two magazines were emptied into them. Let alone surviving headshots.

Would you say that side characters can influence the protagonists to be better? Like having a ongoing relationship with another character can make a game better for you?

As far as realism I agree with you until an extent, like some games just need to be unrealistic 😄

11 hours ago, Shole said:

Would you say that side characters can influence the protagonists to be better? Like having a ongoing relationship with another character can make a game better for you?

Of course relationships with other characters can make a game better. Or much worse for that matter, for example Johhny Silverhand made cyberpunk 2077 almost unbearable for me.

11 hours ago, Shole said:

As far as realism I agree with you until an extent, like some games just need to be unrealistic 😄

I mean actions should have the expected outcome, if a game is set up to not be realistic it should still follow its own established rules.

On 7/7/2021 at 9:09 AM, m76 said:

Of course relationships with other characters can make a game better. Or much worse for that matter, for example Johhny Silverhand made cyberpunk 2077 almost unbearable for me.

I mean actions should have the expected outcome, if a game is set up to not be realistic it should still follow its own established rules.

Oh then I agree fully with you. You can't have a fire mage just randomly cast poison magic for no reason. In the game reality, the rules should apply without being like confused what or why things happen randomly.