Register Now
Kane99

Has streaming killed movie theaters?

On 4/30/2024 at 8:15 AM, Kennysplash said:

I won’t really say it has killed it, but it has surely reduced their revenue. There are many people like me though that always desire that cinema experience. Nothing can substitute it, so it will always be in business. 

The box office is still making millions of dollars in their business. Dune: Part Two sold $626 million after five weeks of release and Kung Fu Panda 4 sold $347 million after four weeks of release. 

Edited by Heatman

I sincerely love the big screen experience, but sometimes I realised that it's just not worth the hassle. Now, I have a comfy couch, a huge TV, and a streaming subscription as well. why do I need to bother with overpriced tickets?

On 7/9/2024 at 7:16 PM, Lens said:

I sincerely love the big screen experience, but sometimes I realised that it's just not worth the hassle. Now, I have a comfy couch, a huge TV, and a streaming subscription as well. why do I need to bother with overpriced tickets?

I agree. The price of snacks and drinks at the movie theater is also overpriced. I’d rather buy my own snacks and drinks & stay at home.

However, there are some movies where I’d rather watch a big screen though.

I don't think the search facility on Prime is the best. They seem to have the movies, etc in order of the upload date, but not alphabetically presentable, which can be a chore to sift through. I was on it and was impressed by the value, because there is plenty to view. But the search mode is not great.

12 hours ago, Knight Plug said:

I don't think the search facility on Prime is the best. They seem to have the movies, etc in order of the upload date, but not alphabetically presentable, which can be a chore to sift through. I was on it and was impressed by the value, because there is plenty to view. But the search mode is not great.

I totally agree with you! The search functionality on Prime can definitely be frustrating. One trick that might help is using specific keywords or filtering options to narrow down the results. It’s not a perfect solution, but it can make finding what you’re looking for a bit easier.

For foreign language films on DVD that have a dubbed option, this does not always apply to the version they put on Prime. For example, a lot of 'giallo' movies made in Italy are in Italian, but Arrow will only publish it in the default language. Obviously Italian, or Japanese, etc, for Asian movies. So unlike physical releases, they omit the option to change the audio to English, if it is on the DVD or Blu-ray.

Then there's movies like Black Sabbath. I seen a dubbed version, but they only have the Italian audio version on home media.

On 7/10/2024 at 1:16 AM, Lens said:

For me, it's not something I go to all the time. It's only when the hype behind a movie is worth it that it drags me to watch. I can't forget the experience I had watching Godzilla Minus One in the theatre. 

Historically, it would be a shame to close cinemas and only have records for home media and streaming.

As somebody who has nearly every top ten horror film since Variery started coverage in March of 1922, I know I'd dislike theaters going bye-bye.

Edited by Knight Plug
Typos are bullshit! 😅