Register Now
StaceyPowers

What games most reward exploration and experimentation?

RDR2 by far rewards you for searching. There is so much to discover that every time you play it you can, and most likely WILL, find something you never knew about before. Especially if you’re a n00b. For example here’s a short list of just a couple things:

Fluorite
Ammolite
Shrunken Head
Ancient Tomahawk
Female Fertility Statue
Ancient Statue puzzle
Mountain Face carving
White/Red Chestnut/Warped Brindle Arabian
Tricorn Hat
All 3 items in the Viking tomb
Gold Shield
the devil
UFO
Obelisk
Flying Machine

There’s also things like trinkets, that you can find. The first 4 that come to mind for me are the shark’s tooth, cat eye, hawk talon, and turtle shell trinkets. If you get the chanupah back for Rains Fall without killing anyone he will give you the owl feather trinket. If you have the special or ultimate edition then you have the eagle talon talisman and iguana scale trinket as 2 of the MANY bonuses the special/ultimate editions give you.

This is just the first small handful of things to find. And if you want my opinion, the most obscure and hardest to find of everything in RDR2 is the fluorite and ammolite. If you don’t learn from someone who has already found them, you have literally no chance of finding them. There is nothing in the game that even slightly alludes to their mere existence.

I have an encyclopedic knowledge of this game, and I’m still finding new shit all the time.

Fallout: New Vegas (Small map by today's standards, but over 300 marked locations and most of them were unique.)

Elden Ring (There are certain areas you can only get to by doing really obscure things, or deliberately trying to boundary break the game. If you just do the story, you can miss out on literally half of the explorable areas.)