Register Now
Kane99

Nintendo Has Acquired Shiver Entertainment From Embracer Group

https://press-start.com.au/news/nintendo/2024/05/21/nintendo-has-acquired-shiver-entertainment-from-embracer-group/

Nintendo has recently acquired Shiver Entertainment from Embracer Group. They are responsible for developing games like Scribblenauts: Showdown, and Scribblenauts Mega Pack for the Switch. And they did ports of Mortal Kombat 11, Hogwarts Legacy, and Mortal Kombat 1 for the Switch. 

Nintendo doesn't buy up studios that often, so it's interesting to see them make the call to buy one up. 

On 5/23/2024 at 1:02 AM, killamch89 said:

So they acquired a company that creates board games? I'm not sure why Nintendo wanted to acquire that game studio in the first place.

I would have thought the same thing myself but with Nintendo, I could see them bringing a board game to something such as the Nintendo Switch as a party type game. 

Monopoly is one of the board games that I know of that has been successful not just as a board game but also as a video game as well. 

I love this because it's bold move from Nintendo. Although, Shiver Entertainment may not be a household name in the gaming industry, but they've actually developed some amazing games too. For example Scribblenauts: Showdown and Mortal Kombat 11 is a good game. 

On 6/23/2024 at 11:11 AM, Shortie said:

I would have thought the same thing myself but with Nintendo, I could see them bringing a board game to something such as the Nintendo Switch as a party type game. 

Monopoly is one of the board games that I know of that has been successful not just as a board game but also as a video game as well. 

You have a point there but Nintendo also has its fair share of board games as well so I'm not sure what they're going for here. Is it to add to their catalogue of family-friend games? If so, then this acquisition does make more sense.

On 7/9/2024 at 4:57 PM, killamch89 said:

You have a point there but Nintendo also has its fair share of board games as well so I'm not sure what they're going for here. Is it to add to their catalogue of family-friend games? If so, then this acquisition does make more sense.

I have always found Nintendo to be more for the family in a sense so that could be their reason for this acquisition and would make sense for them to do this. 

The Nintendo's acquisition of Shiver Entertainment from Embracer Group is aimed to use Shiver Entertainment's resources for porting and also for developing software titles, especially for the Switch 2.