Register Now
kensonplays

Thoughts on Game Ports?

What are your thoughts on game ports from one platform to another?

I was hoping the Horizon Forbidden West port would perform good. But it just barely works at 1440p on my 3070 ti with 40-60 FPS with medium-high settings. You'd think a console port to PC could run at least HIGH or a mix of High and Ultra on a high-end, 'beastly' rig. But ... That's not the case for Horizon Forbidden West. Hopefully they'll patch it soon... ya know?

Posted (edited)

With all due respect, the arrogance of some PC players astounds me. What is it going to take to make this portion of PC players understand that just because a game was originally on console that doesn't mean it will run on hamster spinning a wheel?  Did you even look to see what the PC requirements were? Well, here they are as listed on Playstation's website and the performance you're getting with that hardware sounds about right to me, maybe slightly lower than it should be.  And by the way, I'd hardly consider a 3070Ti a "beastly" GPU in 2024.

1080694486_Screenshot2024-05-23211644.thumb.png.66e426e77dba007b528fc4243ffa9a0c.png

I have this game on PC as well on inferior hardware to yourself  (a laptop with a 2060, 24GB's of RAM and an Intel 10750H) and I get 1080p at around 40-50fps with medium-high settings.  For a game with the kind of graphical fidelity and level of detail HFW has, I think that's superb.  Based on that, I'd say this is a fantastic port, one of the best I've seen in a while.

My advice to you would be to double check your settings because I think that's whare your problem might lie.  For example, you have the wrong frame-gen options selected.

Edited by Shagger

If they're done right they're fine. However, this wasn't the case for The Sims 4 in my opinion. They didn't bother to update the controls to work with a controller, making menu selecting very difficult to do on console versions. Back when EA was good, The Sims ports to console were great. (Well if you don't count those bizarre spin off titles they came out with on handhelds...) I loved The Sims 2 on Gamecube and thought it worked well for the console version.

Game ports are great when they are done right. For some games they get it on the dot and it works really well and for other games, it can be terrible. 

I don't tend to use game ports too often due to them not always being done right, it can be a let down.

On 6/8/2024 at 2:38 PM, Ravenfreak said:

If they're done right they're fine. However, this wasn't the case for The Sims 4 in my opinion. They didn't bother to update the controls to work with a controller, making menu selecting very difficult to do on console versions. Back when EA was good, The Sims ports to console were great. (Well if you don't count those bizarre spin off titles they came out with on handhelds...) I loved The Sims 2 on Gamecube and thought it worked well for the console version.

I haven't played Sims 4 on console but I have heard there are even some keyboard shortcuts that dont have a means if you're using a controller. I believe if you hook up a keyboard you may be able to do more.

7 minutes ago, DanTheGamer said:

I haven't played Sims 4 on console but I have heard there are even some keyboard shortcuts that dont have a means if you're using a controller. I believe if you hook up a keyboard you may be able to do more.

I highly doubt that's true. It's true of many PC ports of multiplatform games allow the player to "hotkey" functions, something that isn't really possible with a controller However, hotkeys are, like you said, shortcuts to functions, not the primary means of accessing that function, so I find it unlikely that actual control functions are just straight up missing on console ports of The Sims 4.  The shortcuts may be missing, but functions will be thier.  That's one of the reasons why I personally prefer to play those types on games om PC, but no developer would make the game impossible to play on console.  There would have been a massive backlash against The Sims 4 and EA in regards to that if they did.  I can't say for sure as I don't really play The Sims 4, but it doesn't make sense for anybody, not even the out-of-ouch twats at EA, to do that.

If done correctly and on comparable consoles it's fine. However, if it's a port of a game from say Xbox Series X ported to an older generation such as Xbox 360 (this doesn't happen too often but it's an example) then I don't think it's worth it.  I know a lot of PC ports of console games sometimes have various issues. I remember the PC port of The Last of Us Part 1 having some day 1 issues if memory serves correctly.

I'm okay with ports, the more people who can play a game the better, but they have to be handled and done right.

The issue with the Game ports is that it can be a total hit or it could be a miss too. Sometimes they're done perfectly and the game will work so smoothly. But other times, it's more like they didn't even try at all. 

On 6/18/2024 at 1:29 PM, Shagger said:

I highly doubt that's true. It's true of many PC ports of multiplatform games allow the player to "hotkey" functions, something that isn't really possible with a controller However, hotkeys are, like you said, shortcuts to functions, not the primary means of accessing that function, so I find it unlikely that actual control functions are just straight up missing on console ports of The Sims 4.  The shortcuts may be missing, but functions will be thier.  That's one of the reasons why I personally prefer to play those types on games om PC, but no developer would make the game impossible to play on console.  There would have been a massive backlash against The Sims 4 and EA in regards to that if they did.  I can't say for sure as I don't really play The Sims 4, but it doesn't make sense for anybody, not even the out-of-ouch twats at EA, to do that.

Eh, I think they are few and far between. My wife and her community seem to have managed to slowly identify a majority of various "shortcuts". However, I do believe there are some little things here and there that didn't really translate.