Register Now
Kane99

Rolling Stone's 25 Best Video Game Soundtracks of All Time - Do you agree with them?

Rolling Stone has released their top 25 best video game soundtracks. You can view the full list here: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/rs-gaming-lists/best-video-game-soundtracks-1235005941/lollipop-chainsaw-2012-1235012615/

The top three they have are; 

1. Vice City

2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

3. Life is Strange

No Silent Hill, Red Dead Redemption, Donkey Kong Country, Journey, etc. Do you agree with any of their choices? I agree the majority they chose have decent to great soundtracks. I think this list mostly focusses on games with licensed music over in-house produced soundtracks. Also, Life is Strange had a decent soundtrack, but I wouldn't call it a top 10 soundtrack. I feel like this list is missing out on some classics. 

I agree with you @Kane99.  You can tell this list was made up by people who write for a music publication, not a gaming one. Rolling Stone has picked some wickedly good game soundtracks made up of licenced compilations but showed almost no interest games with thier own soundtracks made for the game itself.  I counted I think only 6 or 7 out of the 25 as having thier own, indigenous music instead of licenced songs.  Rolling stone, stick to your lane.  I posted some of my favourites in this thread not to long ago, so I'll just link to my post instead of repeating myself.