Register Now
Kane99

Rather buy a classic arcade cabinet or custom make your own?

I have always wanted to have an arcade cabinet in my house, but I've never pushed the trigger. I see they sell those 1up arcades, but I don't really like those. I like the retro look of an actual arcade cabinet. But the issue there, is that these machines cost a ton now days in working order. I wish I could afford to buy a classic cabinet like Donkey Kong, Pac-man/Ms Pac-Man, or maybe something like Mortal Kombat, or one of the Street Fighter games. Idk, there's so many. 

Or, would you rather do a custom build of your own? I wish I could do that myself, but I don't think I have the knowledge for building it. I just think replicating the old arcades as close as possible would be cooler than getting one of those 1up arcades. 

What would you prefer to do? Buy a classic arcade cabinet or make a custom one of your own? Both probably would be costly, but you could probably do more building one. If I had the know-how and skills, I'd make my own cabinet, make an emulation station setup where it'd be as many consoles as possible. But I'd want to have it have a retro theme, maybe just a classic video game, or maybe a custom theme that combines the classics in one. 

This is more a dream of mine, but if I ever have the wealth, I might just have someone custom make me one instead. 

This is somewhat of a difficult one to answer. I mean, I don't mind making my own because I can add whatever I want. But at the same time, there are classic ones like Double Dragon, Sonic and Street Fighter that I loved playing as a kid and wouldn't mind getting my hands on them again for the nostalgia.

There's something very special about the retro look. If I had the space and budget, I'd love to own a restored Donkey Kong or Galaga cabinet. 

Building a custom cabinet is a great idea. I've seen this online. I saw some amazing projects online where lots of the people have recreated classic arcade cabinets with modern components. It's really fantastic.