Register Now
Kane99

Hauntii - Action adventure indie game with interesting art style

Hauntii is a new indie adventure game that just released like a week or so ago for the PC, PS5, Xbox Series X|S, Switch, PS4, and Xbox One. I really like the art style they're going with. it's unique. You play as a ghost, and I guess you can take control of certain items and enemies by possessing them. They say to "Haunt" something, but it looks like you can take control of enemies in doing this. idk just a dumb nitpick on my part, and maybe it works both ways. 

Either way, is this something you'd check out? 

I know this is a nit-pick, but the but term "indie game" get's thrown around way too much.  It's now a marketing term, and like all marketing terms, it has a casual relationship with the truth.

The very term "indie" is short for "independent", and in the context of the gaming industry means independently published.  In other words, it means a game that is independently published by the same person(s)/company that developed it without a 3rd party publisher being involved.  Like a musician publishing thier own music without a record company.  Now that the term has been reapplied as a marketing buzz word, promoters use the term to generate sympathy for an upcoming, small scale project to lead people into thinking one fiercely passionate guy spent years in a shed hand-painting the backgrounds for his text-adventure RPG when that is so often not the case.  You could compile a list of indie games and include Skyrim, The Witcher series, Cyberpunk 2077 and Assassin's Creed and you wouldn't be wrong.

Technically, Hauntii is NOT an indie game.  They have a publisher in Firestroke Games.  Firestroke even call thier own published games "indies" when they are that 3rd party publisher, it's insane.  I'm not implying that Hauntii's Developer Moonloop are in fact some massive studio with thousands on employees, I'm 100% ready to believe they are a small studio (although I can't be sure, there is actually very little information about them online) and that is what Firestroke do , they support smaller developers, I just want people to be aware and take the term "indie" with a grain of salt.

With that out of the way, onto the game itself.  I'm not completely sold on the way it looks, I have seen similar art styles before.  Not that it's an ugly game, it really isn't, but I have seen better from other games on this level.  The premise and story look interesting and the gameplay looks simplistic, but with some verity.  Can't as for much more out of a small scale project like this.  I want to play this, but what's putting me off is the price:

1914949177_Screenshot2024-06-04002653.thumb.png.cb56d03a2329c798322e6495305b3db6.png

That is quite a lot for a game at this level.  Especially that Digital Deluxe Edition, the price of it's DLC is a slap in the face.

image_2024-06-04_002948361.png.a2222e94e041fd6e0646198008ad4755.png

I don't think I'm being a miser for thinking £6.69 (Over $8.50) sounds about right for the game, not the soundtrack.  Am I being unfair?

This has to come down in price a bit before I'm ready to jump in.  Will wishlist it and see how it goes.

The Hauntii is definitely a game that really caught my attention. The art style is so unique and captivating as well. it's look like nothing I've seen before.