Register Now
Kane99

Do you ever buy import games because they're cheaper than the US counterparts?

I've never really purchased import games before, but I have considered it for most modern consoles as a lot of them are open region, allowing most games to play perfectly fine on all consoles. But back in the day it wasn't always the case. Some consoles were compatible with games from many countries, while some were not. 

I look at the NES and Famicom for example, as it's often said that the Famicom games are often cheaper, especially the ones that are considered rare in the US. So, if you can find those rare US games in another country, would you rather get that version? Or do you need to eventually get the US version added to your collection? 

I don't like doing that. I don't see the need to buy import games. For most of the time, all you have to do is to exercise a little patience when the prices of new games drop and you will buy it cheaper.

Yep I do! I mainly only do this with retro games though, for example I imported Mega Man 8 as well as Sonic Jam on the Sega Saturn from Japan because North American Sega Saturn games are super expensive. The console didn't do so great here, that's why our games are more expensive. Sure the text is in Japanese, but we've got smartphones that can easily translate the text for us.

As much as I know that you can import games, this is not something I have done. I know that my other half has done this many times with retro games though. 

I can't say I have ever had a need to import games but it's great to know that it can be done as you never know when you may want to.