Register Now
StaceyPowers

Tutorials that make things seem harder than they really are

Posted (edited)

This makes me think a lot about Japanese media, more specifically anime.  What amine I have watch has had a tendency to over-explain things. Yi-Gi-Oh and Dradonball Z come to mind.  They're more overwritten than my game reviews.

There's something similar that happens with Japanese games as well. I know that a lot of thier games, especially JPRG's, use unique and complex systems and gameplay mechanics, but the tutorials on some of them are borderline insulting to go through.  Like three different pop-ups with pictures, overlays and several sentences of descriptions to explain how to move with twin sticks or with WSAD and mouse.  It's like opening a collage lecture with potty training.

I know that developers have to account for the possibility that this might be this persons first video game ever and cover the basics, but at times it feels like they don't rely on how intuitive modern games controls actually are, especially on console.  Letting players feel around and develop thier own understanding might be more effective than having them be tested Gaming for Kindergarden every time they start a new game.

Edited by Shagger

Hmmm...I haven't really struggled with the Tutorials in any game. At least, not in a long time. As a kid, the Hitman tutorials were a bit confusing at times and that's more to do with the awkward game mechanics of those games.