Register Now
DanTheGamer

"Gaming" branded hardware

Anytime computer hardware is branded as "gaming" at all, I always get suspicious of 1.) Am I being overcharged for this now or 2.) is this going to be garbage.

What's your experience been with this?

Same. It's usually overhyped and overpriced and most times, not worth the premium cost. Take for instance, RGB chairs - What even is the purpose of such a piece of furniture and how much will it really improve your gaming performance or experience?

The "gaming" label can be a bit of a red flag for me too. Basically, I just think that it's essential to look beyond the marketing and actaully try to focus on the actual specs and performance as well. 

I think one of the only pieces of PC hardware that actually needs the "gaming" distinction is mice, as gaming mice will normally have features that a normal office mouse does not have. Sure, it is certainly possible to game with a normal mouse, but you will probably have a better experience using one that is designed for gaming. 

I believe my Ikea desk is also branded as a gaming desk, but that just means that it has built in cable management. No tacky RGB lights in sight. 

On 7/26/2024 at 12:29 PM, Anders said:

I think one of the only pieces of PC hardware that actually needs the "gaming" distinction is mice, as gaming mice will normally have features that a normal office mouse does not have. Sure, it is certainly possible to game with a normal mouse, but you will probably have a better experience using one that is designed for gaming. 

I believe my Ikea desk is also branded as a gaming desk, but that just means that it has built in cable management. No tacky RGB lights in sight. 

I agree that the gaming mice make a difference. The precision and ergonomic design is what I look for because it enhance my gaming experience.