Register Now
StaceyPowers

What should a game trailer’s purpose be?

I find that a lot of the time, trailers are nothing like the game when you play it and that can leave you feeling disappointed as a gamer, especially if you had high hopes for the game releasing. 

I would love to see game trailers be more true to what the game will be like when we play rather than making it look like something it is not, obviously don't use a lot of what we will see in the game as that will spoil things but I feel we should see something that we expect to see when we finally get to play. 

On 6/15/2024 at 9:15 PM, Shagger said:

A trailer's purpose is marketing, simple as that.  The level of insight it offers may be helpful in determining if it's the kind of game one might be interested in, but they are not to be trusted.

I agree - we've seen gaming companies use fake gameplay trailers before and when the real game came out, it wasn't anything like what was shown during the announcement or promotion of said videogame.

So many game trailers are primarily cinematic, but show little or no gameplay. This tactic may work, but it's a game. Not a movie. People are gonna be curious as to what the game is like in terms of the controls, objectives, etc.

A trailer is like a glimpse of what you can expect from entertainment. It should be balanced, but showing too much that people would feel like they’ve seen it all and not showing too little to capture their interest. 

I would think that the whole purpose of the trailer is to sell that particular game to the general public in order to entice as many people as possible to purchase their game. 

I would like to see a little more game play during the trailer to see what I'm getting into, especially now that games are at least $50 to $60 a pop these days.  But I guess they don't want to give too much away in the trailers. 

4 hours ago, JennyorAlice said:

I would think that the whole purpose of the trailer is to sell that particular game to the general public in order to entice as many people as possible to purchase their game. 

I would like to see a little more game play during the trailer to see what I'm getting into, especially now that games are at least $50 to $60 a pop these days.  But I guess they don't want to give too much away in the trailers. 

The problem I have with certain trailers is when they say gameplay trailers but it's still full of cutscenes and little to no actual gameplay like a regular trailer.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

The problem I have with certain trailers is when they say gameplay trailers but it's still full of cutscenes and little to no actual gameplay like a regular trailer.

Yeah, I get that.  That bugs me because I want to see more and I feel like they're just teasing me.

Basicall, a game trailer should be like a sneak peek into what is expected on the game. It should give us a taste of what's actually to come and it should give a lot of hint of the gameplay too.

A trailer should take us on a wild ride and it must show us the vibe and the style of the game. It's more like a teaser and It should gets you more curious about the gameplay.