Register Now
Kane99

Fallout 1 and 2 won’t be getting remade, Todd Howard says

Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/fallout-1-and-2-wont-be-getting-remade-todd-howard-says/

I would love to see a remaster or remake of Fallout 1 and 2, but it sounds like that is not in the plans for Bethesda according to Todd Howard. 

Howard was interviewed recently and asked with the popularity of the new tc show if it would result in the original games getting a remake. 

Howards response was more in line with making sure the original games work on modern hardware, but it doesn't look like we will be getting remasters or remakes of the first 2. 

But would you like to see a remake or even a remaster happen? 

Edited by Kane99

I  wouldn't trust Bethesda to remake them anyway. I mean a remake done right would be cool to see but I absolutely have no faith that Bethesda is the right ones to handle such a task. Fallout & Fallout 2 are considered classics by today standards and I wouldn't trust Bethesda not to absolutely ruin and butcher a potential remake of either.

On 6/20/2024 at 1:00 AM, Smokey said:

I  wouldn't trust Bethesda to remake them anyway. I mean a remake done right would be cool to see but I absolutely have no faith that Bethesda is the right ones to handle such a task. Fallout & Fallout 2 are considered classics by today standards and I wouldn't trust Bethesda not to absolutely ruin and butcher a potential remake of either.

That's what I'm saying. Bethesda would probably upgrade the graphics and try to find some way to implement Creation Club on these remakes just so that they can sell paid mods for it.

Trusting Bethesda to remake Fallout 1 and 2 would be a bad move. I am all for remasters of these games but I feel if they are going to be done, they need to be done right or not at all. 

It's probably a good thing they won't be getting remade. 

Honestly, this is not surprising at all as I would love to see a remake done rightly, but for me, I just don't think that Bethesda is the right studio for the job. 

13 hours ago, Lens said:

Honestly, this is not surprising at all as I would love to see a remake done rightly, but for me, I just don't think that Bethesda is the right studio for the job. 

Bethesda can't even update Fallout 4 properly. Would we really trust them to do a decent job in remaking Fallout 1 and 2? Not in a million years so I'm ecstatic that Todd Howard has decided against it. It'd probably be worse than the GTA Trilogy Edition.

The Howard's news is so disappointing and the fans are not really happy about it. But, his statement doesn't rule out the possibility of a remastered edition of the original games.  

I don't think that it's all bad news because Howard mentioned that Bethesda is typically focusing on ensuring that the original games work on modern hardware, which is a good development.

On 7/27/2024 at 4:30 PM, Button said:

I don't think that it's all bad news because Howard mentioned that Bethesda is typically focusing on ensuring that the original games work on modern hardware, which is a good development.

I'd prefer if Bethesda stay away from it. They'd try to incorporate Creation Club into it to try and make money off the mods if Fallout 1 and 2 were to be remastered.

On 7/31/2024 at 10:58 PM, killamch89 said:

I'd prefer if Bethesda stay away from it. They'd try to incorporate Creation Club into it to try and make money off the mods if Fallout 1 and 2 were to be remastered.

Bethesda's involvement could actually lead to monetization efforts, like Creation Club but it's sure that it might actually alter the classic experience. 

14 hours ago, Button said:

Bethesda's involvement could actually lead to monetization efforts, like Creation Club but it's sure that it might actually alter the classic experience. 

Bethesda's focus on profit might seriously compromise the integrity of a remaster. The original games simplicity and also the modding freedom are very essential and that’s a great appeal. 

On 8/3/2024 at 8:31 PM, Lens said:

Bethesda's focus on profit might seriously compromise the integrity of a remaster. The original games simplicity and also the modding freedom are very essential and that’s a great appeal. 

I totally agree. Starfield's modding scene is far smaller than the rest of Bethesda's games because a lot of the modders from other popular Bethesda titles decided that Starfield wasn't worth the effort.

On 8/5/2024 at 9:51 PM, killamch89 said:

I totally agree. Starfield's modding scene is far smaller than the rest of Bethesda's games because a lot of the modders from other popular Bethesda titles decided that Starfield wasn't worth the effort.

I'm disappointed but not surprised by this happening. But I still believe that remaster of Fallout 1 and 2 would be so amazing.

A remake of Fallout 1 and 2 would be incredible, but it seems like Bethesda is focused on other projects for now and it seems like we'll have to keep dreaming.