Register Now
StaceyPowers

Highly rated games you'll never play

That would be World of Warcraft for me. I know the game is great and it's a very long standing game that is still played by millions every day but I myself will not play it as I know if I did, I would get hooked and it would be costly as well as time consuming as well. 

Probably any first person shooting game.  I don't even know what popular games are from that particular genre of video games.  I don't normally play first person shooter games.  I normally play games that have a story line like the Harry Potter games or Mario games. 

18 minutes ago, JennyorAlice said:

Probably any first person shooting game.  I don't even know what popular games are from that particular genre of video games.  I don't normally play first person shooter games.  I normally play games that have a story line like the Harry Potter games or Mario games. 

I'm going to have to disagree a little here.  I know that the FPS genre has generally been a big let down as far as storytelling experiences go, but the genre itself can do this and has done this well.  Spec Ops: The Line (Technically a third person shooter, I know, but still), The Metro Series, Titanfall 2, Halo, the Farcry Series and even COD has done this well in the past.  It seems unfair to lump all FPS together like that.

And with all due respect, why use Mario as the example of "good" storytelling?  The storytelling experience in Mario games tend to revolve around some rather archaic and juvenile tropes, it's not known for doing stories particularly well.  Great games, but this isn't what they're known for.

Harry Potter is also kind of a strange example.  There are really only three types of Harry Potter game;

1. Movie licensed trash that merely translate the story from the books/movies.  So they are not only not original in terms of story, said translation has historically been done quite poorly, so it's debatable whether or not they actually count.
  2. The LEGO Harry Potter games.  MUCH better games, but still share the same issue with thier stories not being original and based of of the movies/books.
  3. The third is Hogwarts Legacy.  Easily the best Harry Potter game despite not even having Harry Potter in it.  More importantly, an original game with an original (and IMO, very well put together) story.  So yeah, the only one the defiantly counts, but it's still just one game.

It's your opinion and I'm not saying you're wrong, I just find it a little odd to lump and entire genre of games together as if there is no game in that genre that can tell a good story when that is so obviously not the case, and then come up with a couple of pretty weak examples to counter.  Is there something I'm missing here you care to elaborate on?

Onto the topic, and I don't care how much praise Elden Ring and the Dark Souls series get, I will never play them.

The last "Soulsbourne" game I attempted to play was Nioh (before the game glitched out and showed the controller button prompts and the wouldn't even pause in the settings menu as I attempted to fix it) after having a horrible time with both Bloodbourne and Demon Souls before.  Add to that an even worse experience with the rancid fanbase surrounding these types of games and I decided enough was enough and that I was done with these games.  I can oly speak from my limited experiences, but for me the difficulty was disingenuous, it's about trial and error more than it is skill and strategy,  I hated the lack of basic quality of life features such as a pause (Seriously, how does the lack of a pause button make a game more challenging? It just doesn't.) and the aversion to difficulty options sets a bad precedent for gaming in general.  Multiple difficultly options don't take challenge away, just the opposite in fact.  Not to mention when game developers do add difficulty modes that offer players the chance to just explore thier game worlds and enjoy thier stories, they end up actually making games with interesting worlds to explore and deep stories to tell.  They actually end up putting effort into that stuff!  Funny that, isn't it?  In short, well all benefit from that and games can still be as hard as you want.