Register Now
Knight Plug

Should I move on from this YouTuber?

There's a guy on YouTube who I've been donating to for over 4 years. I first started supporting him in 2020 when the Resident Evil 3 remake was about to be released, and you could talk to him using Skype.

The guy has a reputation for being crazy and repeating himself, but nobody takes him seriously anyway. They know he just messes around, so people know his amusing lines off by heart by now. He also always uses the same type of thumbnails on his videos.

The thing is, he just insults his audience now. He called me a simp once, but I accepted he may have just been having an off day, so I never challenged the rude remark at the time. But when I donate £2 sometimes, he complains about being interrupted and expects higher amounts, instead of just being grateful he got a tip from a fan. Or he moans that people don't watch him enough, when he has well over 5K followers now, I think. But you can tell he's a grumpy nerd who thinks this gaming related ranting is his full-time job, or whatever.

I don't watch all his streams as some games or subjects he covers just isn't my thing, which is fine. But a lot of people heard him calling me a loser live recently, so they suggested I unsub from him. Also, a guy who used to occasionally broadcast alongside him was covering his bad attitude recently and seemed surprised he was talking trash about a lot of us, as we had been pledging to him for ages. 

I must have donated hundreds of pounds to him already, for the engagement. But nothing lasts forever, I guess. I'm not obligated to hang around to be insulted, nor am I anybody's kick bucket or pay pig.

If he doesn't care any more, why should I? My cash could go to any number of other pursuits.

I am all for supporting streamers and content creators but if it gets to the point where they take their supporters for granted and will openly talk about them when they are not around thinking they will get away with it. 

I would stop subbing and stop supporting but that is just me. You have to look at how it makes you feel and what you could do with those extra funds if you stopped. You can guarantee that when you stop, they'll realize but by then it is too late. 

You probably should. It doesn't make any sense to support someone who doesn't respect the people that supporting him and keeping him relevant on the said platform. There are lots of upcoming YouTubers who could possibly provide with more wholesome and meaningful content who need the support.

All things come to pass. I just choose to watch movies more now than being on forums, or even YouTube.

The activity sank too low on a lot of message boards, once Twitter and Facebook came along. They died years ago, for the most part. And I started to feel like most of them were just like an abandoned town. As in, they ended up quite desolate. It can depend on the subject as well. Forums can still be busy.

Also, I just kind of lost interest in gaming, for some reason. Although I guess getting older does that to a person.

I would stop supporting this guy. Not only is he degrading people who pay him, he just doesn't sound like someone worth donating money to. Plus if you're not as interested in video games anymore there's no sense to keep watching his content or supporting him. It's okay to have newer hobbies, there was a point where I didn't play games too often and mainly spent my time posting on forums lol.

On 7/20/2024 at 3:20 PM, Knight Plug said:

All things come to pass. I just choose to watch movies more now than being on forums, or even YouTube.

The activity sank too low on a lot of message boards, once Twitter and Facebook came along. They died years ago, for the most part. And I started to feel like most of them were just like an abandoned town. As in, they ended up quite desolate. It can depend on the subject as well. Forums can still be busy.

Also, I just kind of lost interest in gaming, for some reason. Although I guess getting older does that to a person.

The last part I'm not that certain about because I still do love gaming a lot. The only difference is the amount of energy to stay up all those hours to game.

He did it again today. I got called a "loser" shortly after I donated £10. He was acting rather odd, though. 😗

What the hell? I just gave him lip back. 😛

At one point, he timed me out. 

10 minutes ago, Knight Plug said:

He did it again today. I got called a "loser" shortly after I donated £10. He was acting rather odd, though. 😗

What the hell? I just gave him lip back. 😛

At one point, he timed me out. 

Why did you go back?  I don't understand why after what you described you so much as watch his content again, never mind donate to him.

It's like watching someone in an abusive reletionship.  It is so often the case you see this pattern repeat itself again and again.  As much as I, as the observer looking in from the outside, am trying to understand what it is you see in this, I just can't see why you keep giving second chances.  Just stop, please?  Let his online career die the slow death it deserves.

You probably know the YouTuber I am talking about. If not, I will let the cat out of the bag.

I started donating to him in 2020 when the lockdown started, because he covered Resident Evil 3. He was pretty laid back at the time. People know he's a clown on YouTube anyway. But I mean, what an ungrateful prick to put someone in time-out and then talk crap about how he has had the same users supporting him for 4 years. Like we don't matter now because I and others don't watch his every stream.

Yep. He actually went there.

Just listen to the way he rambles on and on in the exact same way. 

His last stream is set to "members only" for some reason. But the reason I don't watch his streams sometimes is because I may know nothing about the game he is raging about. So then if I donate through Super Chat, he'll just whine that it was not relevant.

Look, I'm not going to remove that video nor the references to his channel from your post, but for your sake I am very tempted to smdo so.  The guy puts himself on YouTube and we all have the right to critique him and discuss his content. 

The thing is you keep agreeing with us that you're best off just not bothering with him anymore yet you keep going back.  And now you're pointing us straight to him and his channel. Why?  What are we supposed to do with this exactly?  Watch his videos to see for ousecelves what his content is like to better understand the situation, or are you looking to "rally" VGR against him?  I know you've not had a great experience with him, but in the end he's just a Youtuber to us and no more.  Just ignore him.

And the following should go without saying, but let's it clear anyway.  If any VGR members want to check out "Michael Does Life" on YouTube feel free, but please don't harras him nor anybody at the behest of other VGR members.

No, I never invited anybody to go after him, if that's what you're implying I was suggesting people start doing. And I'm not even mad at him in the slightest. If I was to ask people to go there to intentionally pester him, then I would be just as bad as that weird Australian tosspot who always annoys me, and who you know I've openly complained about online before.

Sure, if you randomly went on YouTube as a viewer and did not know his personality traits, and randomly donated on his channel, just to be insulted on the air, you may feel offended by the guy having an outburst like that. But I know he's probably suffering from ADHD and living on welfare and donations, so it's not to be taking seriously, as a lot of users online are out there and kind of odd, so to speak. And like I said, this guy has hundreds of followers who find his antics amusing.

Anyway, I have largely moved on from gaming talk. I don't really cover video games as much as I did, merely because while I do enjoy games as an art form, talking about Capcom being money grabbers on dead forums started to do my nut in - especially since I have been doing it on and off since the summer of 2003, with every year becoming increasingly more vapid. It kind of feels like I wasted my energy, although my key summary of Capcom I feel is accurate, yet vastly overlooked.

There's not much activity on forums any more, but a lot of old timers are clearly not using forums, and Resident Evil as a franchise has been tarnished.

The relatively few forums I still infrequently visit barely yield any new posts, or members start arguing over a petty disagreement. So I reckon I'll probably end up having to create an imaginary pal called, well. Let's see. I will call him "Ivan Ives" (or something just as lame). But I think he may prefer playing Dino Crisis, though.

Look, ditch the bitch. You have already shown that no amount of money is going to satisfy him. If you give him $2, he's going to bitch about why can't you give him more. If you give him $200 he's going to bitch about if you can afford that much, why don't you give him more. You're being played for a fool by this asshole. Especially once he begins talking shit about you. If he has such little respect for his fans, especially the ones who give him money, then he deserves to lose his entire following and be blacklisted from YouTube. It's why I rarely upload to any of my channels. It's drama that I neither need nor want when you start drawing in the haters. Tell him off in very unfriendly terms if you want, and then abandon and forget him. It seems your asking our permission to drop him.

Well, here's my permission. Leave his channel behind and never return to it. Let him piss and moan and call you names. But never return to him for any reason. If you really want to hurt him, talk a a lot of people in the comments section and convince them to ditch his worthless ass.

Yeah. I'm just gonna move on from him. I'll keep him as a good memory, though. 

But to be honest, I have lost interest in covering RE games. Life has been brutal over the past 10 years. After losing my mum last September, my heart just hasn't been in it with what I used to enjoy. When you lose that one important person, it is like a void is gone in your humanity.

I had so much personal crap to deal with since 2012 or so, that it ain't even funny as to how annoying it has all been.