Register Now
Kane99

Analyst predicts PlayStation May Have One More Gen Of Physical Media Support, Nintendo Possibly Two

I wonder if this is true or not, but Analyst Mat Piscatella believes that Playstation will suport physical media for one more generation while Nintendo could possibly have two more generations of physical media. 

I think we will end up seeing an end of physical media one day. And much as I hate the idea, it looks to be the direction the gaming world is going. I expect to one day see a all digital future. I hate that idea, but it almost feels inevitable at this point.

The article also kind of discusses how Xbox is already going into a digital future. So my guess is Xbox will be pushing for digital while Sony will give us one more generation of physical media. 

Check out the article below. 

https://twistedvoxel.com/playstation-nintendo-physical-media-analyst/

Honestly, i'm not shocked to hear this news because the industry's been shifting towards the digital era for years now and this one is like the music industry all over again remembering the CDs. This is crazy 😧

Not in the least shocked. We've been steadily moving away from physical media for the past decade and everything will be digitalized eventually. It's just the way the world is going. I don't like it but that's the current situation.

On 7/9/2024 at 12:42 AM, killamch89 said:

Not in the least shocked. We've been steadily moving away from physical media for the past decade and everything will be digitalized eventually. It's just the way the world is going. I don't like it but that's the current situation.

I understand where you're coming from so well. The trend towards digitalization is indeed very unstoppable, and it's also changing the way we consume the media. 

The shift towards digital media is what is trending right now in the gaming industry and the major reason for the shift is to ease the access to games and enhance storage for gamers. 

Once games go all digital, I'm done with modern gaming. I will only get new Sonic and Pokemon titles as they're my favorite gaming franchises. I know it happened with PC games already, but that's one of the reasons why I'm more of a console gamer. I prefer physical copies, not only do they look great on a shelf you actually own those games as well so if they ever get delisted you can just easily pop them into your disc drive and play them! Xbox will definitely be going all digital after this generation I can see that.

On 7/26/2024 at 9:13 PM, Ravenfreak said:

Once games go all digital, I'm done with modern gaming. I will only get new Sonic and Pokemon titles as they're my favorite gaming franchises. I know it happened with PC games already, but that's one of the reasons why I'm more of a console gamer. I prefer physical copies, not only do they look great on a shelf you actually own those games as well so if they ever get delisted you can just easily pop them into your disc drive and play them! Xbox will definitely be going all digital after this generation I can see that.

If you're a fan of the physical copies and you really want to own your games outright. It's indeed very special you'll be able to play without relying on online services.

On 7/23/2024 at 5:14 PM, Lens said:

I understand where you're coming from so well. The trend towards digitalization is indeed very unstoppable, and it's also changing the way we consume the media. 

The article presents an interesting perspective. While digital distribution is convenient, many gamers still appreciate physical copies for reasons like ownership, resale value, and the joy of collecting. Who knows? Maybe there'll still be a niche market for physical copies of games.

20 hours ago, killamch89 said:

The article presents an interesting perspective. While digital distribution is convenient, many gamers still appreciate physical copies for reasons like ownership, resale value, and the joy of collecting. Who knows? Maybe there'll still be a niche market for physical copies of games.

I also believe that many gamers still cherish physical copies despite the digital copies offering convenience. In physical copies, there is tangible ownership. 

1 hour ago, Button said:

I also believe that many gamers still cherish physical copies despite the digital copies offering convenience. In physical copies, there is tangible ownership. 

I concur with your assertion. The physical copies offer you the satisfaction of displaying your collections. The physical copies may likely persist. 

On 8/1/2024 at 1:37 PM, Button said:

I wholeheartedly agree. Outside of buying games on GOG, you don't really have any ownership of your digital games.

16 hours ago, Button said:

@killamch89 I share your concerns about the shift to digital only gaming. The convenience is definitely an advantage, but the loss of ownership is of concern too.

The trend towards digital-only gaming is undeniable, but I hope it won't be seen as one size fits all approach. I still see how some gamers value physical media for collecting and sharing games.