Register Now
StaceyPowers

What are some of your unpopular takes about video games?

Playing games can actually make you more coordinated and productive. It boosts your ability to think on a spot and make better decisions. 
Many, especially non gamer will argue this. 

Going 3D in gen 5 was a mistake, and resulted in a generation of the most hideous-looking games ever made. Developers should've stuck with high quality 2D sprites for Gen 5 and saved the 3D games for gen 6, when the technology had finally matured enough to realize their visions. I can just imagine Ocarina of Time as a native Gamecube game, or Final Fantasy VII as a native PS2 game.

In my own opinion, I think one of my unpopular takes is that the Portal series is overrated. I don't want you to get me wrong, it's a great game, but I don't think it's the masterpiece that everyone makes it out to be. 

I believe that not every game needs a multiplayer mode. Some games are better off as single-player experiences, but developers often feel pressured to include online components that end up detracting from the overall quality.

On 8/28/2024 at 8:21 PM, killamch89 said:

I believe that not every game needs a multiplayer mode. Some games are better off as single-player experiences, but developers often feel pressured to include online components that end up detracting from the overall quality.

That's a good point! It's not really advisable to Force a multiplayer into single-player focused game because it will affect player experience. I’ve seen some notable games thrive without multiplayer. Typical examples are Portal and Bioshock.  

19 hours ago, Lens said:

That's a good point! It's not really advisable to Force a multiplayer into single-player focused game because it will affect player experience. I’ve seen some notable games thrive without multiplayer. Typical examples are Portal and Bioshock.  

There's plenty of games like that. Skyrim, Fallout 4, God Of War series, The Last Of US series, Deus Ex Series, Metal Gear etc.

On 7/2/2024 at 7:39 PM, JennyorAlice said:

I don't think I typically play anything unusual or unpopular.  I normally play Mario games or Harry Potter games.  Nothing unusual about that. 

Those are the popular ones. I had fun playing Mario games when I was a kid, but now focused on playing some shooting games as an adult.

On 8/27/2024 at 11:17 AM, Lens said:

In my own opinion, I think one of my unpopular takes is that the Portal series is overrated. I don't want you to get me wrong, it's a great game, but I don't think it's the masterpiece that everyone makes it out to be. 

I thought it was a really good game as well but I think Half-life is far more of a masterpiece in my opinion.

On 8/31/2024 at 8:07 PM, killamch89 said:

I thought it was a really good game as well but I think Half-life is far more of a masterpiece in my opinion.

Another  unpopular takes is that Mario games are overhyped. I also think that the Dark Souls series is more frustrating than challenging,