Register Now
Kane99

Has a games story ever been too confusing?

Have you ever played a game where the story was just a confusing mess? Games like Metal Gear Solid I feel struggle with this, because they throw so much exposition and backstory your way, that it can get a bit confusing to keep up. Are there any specific games where the story just confused the hell out of you that you never fully understood the story? It's one thing to be confused about controls and how to play, but when a story is confusing, it can tarnish the overall experience for you. 

Have you ever played a game where the story was just far too confusing for you? If so, what games did you have problems with? 

I try to recall what the hell was happening in Final Fantasy XV and all that comes to me is... um... nice car?  It's been a while, but I know that I would remember that at some point I knew what was going on in that game if I ever had it figured out.

The thing is though, a story doesn't have to be complicated to become, as you put it, a "confusing mess". Take Dragon's Dogma, for example. The premise and motivation for the player was actually very simple.  A "Chosen One" hero to slay big bad Dragon, but it was the villain's motivations that had me lost.  The Dragon eats your heart then just waits for you to come and kill it because, why?  It's was a sentient, intelligent character, but with no clear motivation for anything it was doing.  With no clear motivation for the villain, there could be no clear objective to the story itself,  Nowhere for it to go, nothing to resolve.  By the time I beat the game, I was beyond caring, especially since everything seemed to go straight down the shitter after you win anyway.

Nier, both the original game and Nier Automata, were minds fucks as well   Again, there was clear motivation for the player in the immediate scenarios, but to take in thier surreal, cryptic stories as a whole is begging for headache.

I stared playing Scarlet Nexus quite recently as well. I'm not nearly far enough into it to say for sure, but this is already looking like another game to leave my brain dribbling out of my ears.  And I just realised that between myself and @Kane99 Japanese games are really taking a pounding in this thread, a trend I see continuing for some reason 🤔.

Death's Stranding anyone? I still can't figure out the premise of this entire universe and many other people are in the same boat. Kojima is known for making some extremely creative and complex stories but I felt he went overboard with this one. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth going multiverse so all you have is a bunch of confusing paradoxes and all kinds of WTF scenarios.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Death's Stranding anyone? I still can't figure out the premise of this entire universe and many other people are in the same boat. Kojima is known for making some extremely creative and complex stories but I felt he went overboard with this one. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth going multiverse so all you have is a bunch of confusing paradoxes and all kinds of WTF scenarios.

Yep, more Japanese games 😆

Anyway, that crossover thing isn't anything new.  The "Tales of..." series from Bandai Namco does a similar thing with some sort of half baked, alternate universe bullshit just so they can have characters from other Tales games appear in cameo roles, usually as high level optional bosses to fight.  I also heard read somewhere the Jecht was meant to be a recurring character in Final Fantasy, but was only ever canonised in the world of FFX.  I have NO idea how they were going to make that work.

Edited by Shagger

Just now, Shagger said:

Yep, more Japanese games 😆

Anyway, that crossover thing isn't anything new.  The "Tales of..." series from Bandai Namco does a similar thing with some sort of half baked, alternate universe bullshit just so they can have characters from other Tales games appear in cameo roles, usually as high level optional bosses to fight.  I also heard read somewhere the Jecht was meant to be a recurring character in Final Fantasy, but was only ever canonised in the world of FFX.

The problem with this in Final Fantasy is the fact that they have so many characters so they'll be endless amount of scenarios to play out in these multiverses. I don't remember any series across any form of media doing this multiverse thing properly. It's why Marvel Comics has been doing so poorly over the past decade. All this multiverse crap does is create endless problems.

Sincerely, I love the Metal Gear Solid series, but it's like they're trying to give me lots of headache. In the end, I still enjoyed the gameplay, even if the story was a mess 😭

15 hours ago, Lens said:

Sincerely, I love the Metal Gear Solid series, but it's like they're trying to give me lots of headache. In the end, I still enjoyed the gameplay, even if the story was a mess 😭

Metal Gear's story isn't really that complex but you do have to play through most of the earlier games to understand the premise of the entire series.

I've witnessed this before but I just gave up trying to understand it. The game I was referring to is Dragon's Dogma, and I was like, 'Okay, I get it, i got to give up.