Register Now
killamch89

Does Everyone Deserve a Second Chance After Addiction?

I've been thinking a lot about whether people who have struggled with addiction truly deserve a second chance. On one hand, I believe in redemption and that people can change. On the other hand, it's hard to ignore the damage they might have caused to themselves and others. What are your thoughts and experiences? Do you think everyone deserves a second chance, or are there limits?

I'm a former addict, and lost a lot of years that I can never get back. The damage I've done to my body is extensive. I have brain damage and missing gray matter thanks to the chemicals I put in my body. The way I got clean was stupid, but I've been clean now for 20 years, with the exception of grass every so often. But @Rain Dew keeps me on the straight and narrow.

One thing people don't think about is that it's 100x more likely for a former addict to fall back into drugs than someone who has never done any. It's a war, every second of every day to stay clean. Temptation is around every corner, and it would be so easy to buy just a bit, get high, and move on. But there is no moving on if you get using again.

A second chance is a great thing. But it has to be known that only some of us are worthy of a second chance, but the majority aren't. I'm not worthy of a second chance because I don't know if I can stay clean much longer. The war is raging, and I'm beginning to lose this battle.

I’ve told @The Blackangel that if she ever falls back into drugs I would do anything in my power to help her get clean again. I’ve told her that the only way I would ever leave if she falls back into drugs is if she refuses to get clean. At that point there is nothing I can do for her because the drugs have took hold and now control her life. 
Now if this were to happen and down the line she did get clean then I would give her a second chance in a heartbeat. 

Edited by Rain Dew
Spelling error