Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you prefer your character in RPGs to have a distinct personality or not?

When playing an RPG with a set character that is not a complete blank slate, do you prefer the slate still be relatively blank, or that the character have a distinct personality?

I.e. do you prefer a personality-less character like in Dragon Age: Origins, or a character with a distinct personality like Hawke in Dragon Age 2?

In an open world RPG like Hogwarts Legacy, you have the ability to make your own choices in certain situations.  I like having the ability to do that when playing a game like that.  It makes for a better experience, in my opinion, you can make at least some choices in what your character does. 

I like my RPG characters to be either completely fleshed out or completely blank slates, nothing in-between. Few things in games irritate me more than making a custom character, starting to roleplay, then getting a backstory forced on me by an NPC.

On 7/11/2024 at 4:41 PM, HowHammerYou said:

I like my RPG characters to be either completely fleshed out or completely blank slates, nothing in-between. Few things in games irritate me more than making a custom character, starting to roleplay, then getting a backstory forced on me by an NPC.

I completely understand where you're coming from. In reality, I love games that gives me the freedom to create my own story and character, without having to impose unnecessary details too. 

Edited by Lens

I'd say that in this case, I'd rather they have a distinct personality. Playing characters that aren't a complete blank slate, I'd be more inclined to take the immersive route of taking action that I think the character normally would along with building them like how they perceived in their universe.

23 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'd say that in this case, I'd rather they have a distinct personality. Playing characters that aren't a complete blank slate, I'd be more inclined to take the immersive route of taking action that I think the character normally would along with building them like how they perceived in their universe.

What I watch out for is when my characters have a rich backstory and with distinct personality as well. This is what make the game feel so much more immersive and engaging too. 

I prefer games where you start off that your character is a blank slate and any choices you make along the way defines your personality. Hogwarts Legacy is not a game I have played yet but I hope to do so soon, this game has that ability and that is something I know I am going to enjoy. 

21 hours ago, Shortie said:

I prefer games where you start off that your character is a blank slate and any choices you make along the way defines your personality. Hogwarts Legacy is not a game I have played yet but I hope to do so soon, this game has that ability and that is something I know I am going to enjoy. 

I completely agree with you on that because the Games that allows you to shape your character's personality and story are so much more immersive and engaging as well. I see it as an actual role-playing. it's always interesting 🧐