Register Now
Kane99

What mostly linear game deserves their own open world/sandbox game?

What are some mostly linear games that deserve their own open world/sandbox style games? I look at Mafia II as an example. It's a linear game with a somewhat open world, although it's a rather small world. I was hoping it would be a massive world to play in, but that's not what we got. Than again, they did try a more open world game with Mafia III, but I didn't really enjoy it. 

With that being said, are there linear games you'd like to see made into a more open world experience? What are some you'd rather stay linear though? I know sometimes expanding a world can cause other problems. Like giving players too much to play with, or an open world with next to nothing to do. 

What linear games, would you like to see get an open world treatment and why? 

I'd say Resident Evil. Don't get me wrong - The RE games do linear and smaller sandboxed areas really well but I've been kind of curious what an open-world version of that would look like. Yes, I know there will be loads of zombies but maybe they can make some of them a bit more intelligent so that you can't just evade them by jumping to an extremely high vantage point.

9 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'd say Resident Evil. Don't get me wrong - The RE games do linear and smaller sandboxed areas really well but I've been kind of curious what an open-world version of that would look like. Yes, I know there will be loads of zombies but maybe they can make some of them a bit more intelligent so that you can't just evade them by jumping to an extremely high vantage point.

That's an interesting point there! An open-world Resident Evil game is packed with lots of funespecially if they incorporated more intelligent enemies.