Register Now
StaceyPowers

What gets you hooked on playing a game?

It's difficult to say because I like lots of games for various reasons but I'd have to say Fantastic gameplay and story are two of my main criteria. Add in some decent graphics and you've got me hooked for the most part.

When it comes to getting hooked on a game, I would have to say that a game with an immersive experience is what gets me hooked. 

I tend to play games to escape the world and forget about things for a while so an immersive experience is perfect for that. 

6 hours ago, Lens said:

For me, I easily get hooked with the immersive experience. Honestly, I look for games that can transport me to a new world..

5 hours ago, Shortie said:

When it comes to getting hooked on a game, I would have to say that a game with an immersive experience is what gets me hooked. 

I tend to play games to escape the world and forget about things for a while so an immersive experience is perfect for that. 

You both took the words out of my mouth - an immersive and engaging experience.

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

You both took the words out of my mouth - an immersive and engaging experience.

Totally,I agreed with you on that And I think that's why games like The Witcher 3 are so beloved and once you're playing the game, you'll feel like you're a part of it. There is this real feeling.

If the game has a good enough story that I get lost in it.......

That's what gets me hooked.  That's why I stayed hooked when I was playing Hogwarts Legacy last year.  The other part was the fact that I am kind of a Harry Potter nerd. 

12 hours ago, JennyorAlice said:

If the game has a good enough story that I get lost in it.......

That's what gets me hooked.  That's why I stayed hooked when I was playing Hogwarts Legacy last year.  The other part was the fact that I am kind of a Harry Potter nerd. 

It's true that a very good story can totally transport you to another world and that's probably going to make you forget about every other thing else. 

55 minutes ago, Lens said:

It's true that a very good story can totally transport you to another world and that's probably going to make you forget about every other thing else. 

That's a big reason why I read a lot as well.  Reading can do the same thing.  It helps me to relax after a long hard day at work. 

If the game’s difficulty is reasonable. It should not be too hard to complete and at the same time not be extremely easy. It should be balanced, in a way that makes me feel a continuous sense of accomplishment. 

20 hours ago, Kennysplash said:

If the game’s difficulty is reasonable. It should not be too hard to complete and at the same time not be extremely easy. It should be balanced, in a way that makes me feel a continuous sense of accomplishment. 

I'd say that the games with well-balanced difficulty curve keep players engaged, motivated, and satisfied. That's the kind of games I prefer.

For me, it's the story always get me hooked. If I come across a game with a very compelling narrative and also with  well-developed characters, I'm always hooked. 

While I do agree with most people in this thread that an engaging story is a good way to hook players, I personally think game mechanics are way more important. I've played lots of games that have zero story, but very fun gameplay mechanics that have hooked me instantly, like for example Vampire Survivors or Brotato.