Register Now
Kane99

Switch is now known as Nintendo's longest running home console

In before anyone says the Gameboy lasted longer, that is correct, but I guess Nintendo counts the Gameboy as a handheld device rather than a home console. Anyway, the Switch is now known as Nintendo's longest running home console ever at . Wasn't the Wii before it the longest running console they had? Or was it the NES or another console? The switch released in 2017, and we're nearing on 8 years since its release. 

Do you think we can expect a new console soon? Nintendo usually jumps at making new consoles fast, but it seems the Switch changed that. I think it's partly due to how it's also a handheld but is regarded as a console by Nintendo. But I do think it's time to move on and bring out a new console. Whether that is a completely new idea for a console, or a Switch 2. I feel it's coming very soon. 

Source - https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/07/switch-is-now-nintendos-longest-serving-flagship-home-console

There were rumors floating around of a Switch two a few months back possibly coming out later this year or early next year so we'll soon a new console from Nintendo. Hopefully, it's a massive improvement on the current Switch.

Yes, the Wii was indeed the Nintendo's longest-running home console prior to the Switch. I found out that the lifespan was around 6 years (2006-2012). It'll be interesting to see what Nintendo actually has in store for us all. 

The Nintendo Switch was said to have  surpassed the Famicom (NES) record of 2,686 days and the Switch has sold over 141 million units as of the time of this post. 

Edited by Button

On 7/17/2024 at 12:51 PM, Lens said:

Yes, the Wii was indeed the Nintendo's longest-running home console prior to the Switch. I found out that the lifespan was around 6 years (2006-2012). It'll be interesting to see what Nintendo actually has in store for us all. 

The Switch has been around since 2017 though so I think it is officially the longest running home console for Nintendo. It'd be something like 7 years and 4 months for the Switch and we're not seeing an upgrade until next year...

On 7/24/2024 at 2:15 AM, killamch89 said:

The Switch has been around since 2017 though so I think it is officially the longest running home console for Nintendo. It'd be something like 7 years and 4 months for the Switch and we're not seeing an upgrade until next year...

The Nintendo Switch has indeed been around since 2017 as you've pointed out. This makes it the longest-running home console for Nintendo. Most of the console typically lasts around 5-6 years.

On 7/26/2024 at 10:19 AM, Button said:

The Nintendo Switch has indeed been around since 2017 as you've pointed out. This makes it the longest-running home console for Nintendo. Most of the console typically lasts around 5-6 years.

Absolutely, it's interesting to see how the Switch has outlasted previous consoles. I read that the continued release of strong first-party titles and consistent third-party support have been key factors. What upcoming Switch games are you excited about?

20 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Absolutely, it's interesting to see how the Switch has outlasted previous consoles. I read that the continued release of strong first-party titles and consistent third-party support have been key factors. What upcoming Switch games are you excited about?

I'm excited about The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Metroid Prime 4 

1 hour ago, Button said:

The Switch's future looks very bright especially with these titles to check out.  Bayonetta 3 and 2. Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.

1 hour ago, Button said:

The Switch's future looks very bright especially with these titles to check out.  Bayonetta 3 and 2. Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.

On 8/1/2024 at 1:33 PM, Button said:

Same here - I'm definitely looking forward to both games as well. In the meantime, I'll continue enjoying the Metroid Prime remake.

On 7/23/2024 at 2:08 AM, Button said:

The Nintendo Switch was said to have  surpassed the Famicom (NES) record of 2,686 days and the Switch has sold over 141 million units as of the time of this post. 

I’m still of the opinion that Wii was indeed the longest running console before the Switch. This console has a lifespan of around 6 years. 

16 minutes ago, Lens said:

I’m still of the opinion that Wii was indeed the longest running console before the Switch. This console has a lifespan of around 6 years. 

That's true. I still think Nintendo will release a new console soon. It maybe called Switch 2 or it could be a completely new concept. 

4 hours ago, Button said:

That's true. I still think Nintendo will release a new console soon. It maybe called Switch 2 or it could be a completely new concept. 

I still believe that Nintendo is waiting for the right moment to actually release a new console. Maybe they're working on a new design or technology.