Register Now
Kane99

If you could develop a game for any retro console, what console would you develop for?

If you had the skills to develop your own game, but could only develop for an older or retro console, what one would you choose to develop for any why?

I think it would be fun to make an NES game or maybe something for the SNES. But what console would you be into developing for?

That's a great question you asked. If I was given the chance to choose a retro console to actually develop a game for, I would definitely choose the Sega Genesis.

I'd develop a 32-bit 2D RPG for the NeoGeo AES, then port it to the Sega Saturn later. 32-bit was the pinnacle of 2D graphics, and the RPGs made for those consoles have a special beauty that earlier and later consoles just can't replicate.

Either the Genesis or Master System. I know the inner workings of the Master System more than the Genesis. I mod the 8-bit Sonic games on the Master System, but to be honest with you I do better modifying existing code rather than writing code from scratch. Fun thing is about the Master System, there is a C compiler so you don't have to write your code in z80 assembler if you don't want to!

8 hours ago, Ravenfreak said:

Either the Genesis or Master System. I know the inner workings of the Master System more than the Genesis. I mod the 8-bit Sonic games on the Master System, but to be honest with you I do better modifying existing code rather than writing code from scratch. Fun thing is about the Master System, there is a C compiler so you don't have to write your code in z80 assembler if you don't want to!

I love modifying existing code becuase it's definitely a great way to learn and to also improve. And the fact that there's a C compiler available for the Master System, it makes it even more accessible and easier to work with.

On 7/31/2024 at 7:09 AM, Button said:

That's a great question @Kane99 . It's going to be an amazing experience. Sega Genesis can leverage on its dedicated fan base to contribute to its library.

I think I'd have to go with the Game Boy Advance (GBA) becuase it’s my retro console of choice. The GBA's portability and versatility is mankes it a better choice due to its unique opportunities.