Register Now
Kane99

Are there games where you buy every version of it?

Are there any games where you purchase multiple copies of? Maybe it's the original version, the greatest hits version, or a special release edition. Or it's a re-release later in HD, a remaster, or outright remake. I've heard of people collecting one game, but over all consoles and versions they can find. Does anyone here do this? Normally I just buy one version of the game, and maybe it's remaster/remake if there is one. But I don't usually go out and try to find other versions of the same game, just in a different case. 

But, I get a lot of collectors want to collect as much as they can. What about you?

I can't say there has ever been any games that I have ever bought every version of my but I know my other half has done this in the past if there has been collectors editions available. 

I would imagine after a while, especially if you are a gamer that enjoys collecting games, that it would be quite expensive over time. 

There are defintely games I own multiple copies of, mainly because they're older games that are rereleased/remastered on newer systems.

Then there's Diablo 3. I own Diablo 3 on every single platform it has been released on, 8 copies in total. Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Switch, and 3 different copies on PC. I really like Diablo 3.

I don't really see any tangible reason why so many gamers and collectors enjoy purchasing multiple versions of their favorite games. I haven't fine this before. But I think one of the reasons is to collect different cover art and packaging.

That's the relationship I have with Skyrim. I even have it on my Nintendo Switch (I got it as gift but still...). I have owned every version of Skyrim and my addiction will never end lol.

On 7/23/2024 at 8:07 PM, Button said:

I don't really see any tangible reason why so many gamers and collectors enjoy purchasing multiple versions of their favorite games. I haven't fine this before. But I think one of the reasons is to collect different cover art and packaging.

For me and my Diablo 3 collection, it started out with wanting to play the game on different platforms. The PS4 version came out with the Reaper of Souls expansion, so I had to get that, then I got a PC and wanted to play it there, then it came out on Switch, so I wanted to play it portably. Then I came across an Xbox One copy at a store for like $3, so I figured I might as well get it. At that point I only needed a PS3 copy, which I finally bought earlier this year. 

I've done this with Teen Titans. I still would love to own the original Xbox version of the game, but I have the Gamecube and PS2 versions. They're virtually identical except for the fact that the PS2 graphics aren't as good as the Gamecube nor the Xbox versions. Teen Titans is my favorite animated series and I think it'd be cool to own all the console and handheld games. I still need to replace my copy of the sequel for the GBA as well... Also with Spyro Year of the Dragon, you need to get the greatest hits version of the game to be able to play the game in full. I believe there's a game breaking bug in the non greatest hits version and same with Turok Rage Wars on the N64. If you have the black cartridge version of that game, you can't beat it. I unfortunately have this version so I'll never be able to beat the game...

On 7/26/2024 at 9:05 PM, Ravenfreak said:

I've done this with Teen Titans. I still would love to own the original Xbox version of the game, but I have the Gamecube and PS2 versions. They're virtually identical except for the fact that the PS2 graphics aren't as good as the Gamecube nor the Xbox versions. Teen Titans is my favorite animated series and I think it'd be cool to own all the console and handheld games. I still need to replace my copy of the sequel for the GBA as well... Also with Spyro Year of the Dragon, you need to get the greatest hits version of the game to be able to play the game in full. I believe there's a game breaking bug in the non greatest hits version and same with Turok Rage Wars on the N64. If you have the black cartridge version of that game, you can't beat it. I unfortunately have this version so I'll never be able to beat the game...

Yes, I think I completely understand the desire to collect and own multiple versions of a favorite game. It's definitely a great way to have library of games.