Register Now
Cpvr

SAG-AFTRA Video Game Actors Go On Strike

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hollywood’s video game performers announced they would go on strike Thursday, throwing part of the entertainment industry into another work stoppage after talks for a new contract with major game studios broke down over artificial intelligence protections. 

The strike — the second for video game voice actors and motion capture performers under the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists — will begin at 12:01 a.m. Friday. The move comes after nearly two years of negotiationswith gaming giants, including divisions of Activision, Warner Bros. and Walt Disney Co., over a new interactive media agreement. 

SAG-AFTRA negotiators say gains have been made over wages and job safety in the video game contract, but that the two sides remained split over the regulation of generative AI. A spokesperson for the video game producers, Audrey Cooling, said the studios offered AI protections, but SAG-AFTRA’s negotiating committee said that the studios’ definition of who constitutes a “performer” is key to understanding the issue of who would be protected.

SAG-AFTRA is going on strike against the video game industry.

“We’re not going to consent to a contract that allows companies to abuse A.I. to the detriment of our members”

Companies facing the strike include Activision, Disney, Insomniac, EA, Take-Two, Epic Games and WB Games.

Source: apnews

I think the  reason for the strike is due to the breakdown in negotiations with major game studios and it's on the issue of artificial intelligence protections.

I'm fully behind SAG-AFTRA on this. AI is a powerful tool, but without proper regulations, it could easily be used to exploit performers and reduce job opportunities. It's important for the industry to protect those who bring our favorite characters to life.

I’m among the people who believed in The use of AI in video games and it can definitely revolutionize the industry in a great way., but it also poses significant risks to performers' livelihoods.

8 hours ago, Lens said:

I’m among the people who believed in The use of AI in video games and it can definitely revolutionize the industry in a great way., but it also poses significant risks to performers' livelihoods.

The strike is a necessary step because it will protect the rights of performers in the video game industry. AI technology is advancing so rapidly, and if it's left unchecked, it could lead to the replacement of human performers.

On 8/13/2024 at 10:11 PM, Lens said:

There needs to be a balance. Yes, AI can help make certain aspects of game development more efficient but by neglecting the actors that give life to the characters in-game, gaming companies are selling themselves short.

On 8/21/2024 at 11:19 PM, killamch89 said:

There needs to be a balance. Yes, AI can help make certain aspects of game development more efficient but by neglecting the actors that give life to the characters in-game, gaming companies are selling themselves short.

That's a good point! The SAG-AFTRA actually highlights the importance of fair compensation and treatment for the video game actors. Of course, AI can definitely help to augment development, but we still need human talent to brings emotion to the game characters.