Register Now
Kane99

How long before AI generated content is used in video games? Seems it may be now.

It's being reported that a skin in Call of Duty was allegedly made with AI. It's said to be a part of the The Yokai's Wrath bundle. The bundle costs 2,400 COD Points ($19.99). Activision said previously that they do not intend to sell items made via AI, and that they would only use AI to aide in said production of DLC and skins. It may also be due to the constant layoffs Activision and company have done, as some of them seemed to 2D artists. So the ones still working, had started to use AI to aide in the production of these skins. You can read the story here - https://www.thegamer.com/activision-reportedly-sold-an-artificial-intelligence-generated-skin-in-call-of-duty-game-development/

This leaves me with my main question, how long until we start to see more games utilize generative AI in this way? I don't mind if AI is used to help finish a piece of art, but if it's solely made with AI I don't think it should be legally sellable. Especially if it's generating any of this content from already established artists. I can see more studios doing this in the coming months and years, and I can even see some outright using AI completely going forward. 

Do you have any worries that other studios and developers will use AI in the same way? 

Edited by Kane99

To a lesser extent, it's already being used in a number of more recent titles. However, what I will say is they can't completely replaces all the individuals  involved in developing games. Especially not the artists.

I'm also aware that the use of AI-generated content in video games is definitely on the rise. It's a good developer to see Activision already exploring this territory. 

Based on my opinion, I sincerely think that a clearer regulations and guidelines are very necessary and it's also very good to ensure fairness and transparency too.