Register Now
Kane99

Game Informer Magazine shut down after 33 years in service

Does this spell an end to video game magazines as we know them? I don't think there are many gaming mags left on the market, maybe that retro gaming magazine, but I don't know of any other living magazine brands that still release physical mags. Anyway, this is about Game Informer calling it quits after 33 years. I didn't even know they were around for so long. When did Gamestop come into the picture? Was it always a Gamestop magazine? 

This is a sad news. 33 years of a contribution to the gaming industry is truly remarkable. Of course, we know that digital media has become dominant, but there's still opportunities for physical gaming magazines.  

This shutdown has raised a lot of questions about the future of print and gaming media. I do hope that other publications will continue to thrive as well.  

It's interesting to think about how much the gaming media landscape has changed. Game Informer, started in 1991, became a GameStop magazine around 2000 when GameStop acquired it. Apart from Retro Gamer, there are very few physical gaming magazines left, which reflects the shift towards online content. The end of Game Informer as a print magazine marks the end of an era.

On 8/5/2024 at 10:00 PM, killamch89 said:

It's interesting to think about how much the gaming media landscape has changed. Game Informer, started in 1991, became a GameStop magazine around 2000 when GameStop acquired it. Apart from Retro Gamer, there are very few physical gaming magazines left, which reflects the shift towards online content. The end of Game Informer as a print magazine marks the end of an era.

It's so sad to see a physical magazine go but I'm curious to see how Game Informer will adapt and thrive in the digital space.

8 hours ago, Lens said:

It's so sad to see a physical magazine go but I'm curious to see how Game Informer will adapt and thrive in the digital space.

I'm so surprised Game Informer lasted this long, considering the level of decline of print media, but it’s very clear that digital is the clear future.

On 8/14/2024 at 12:17 PM, Button said:

I'm so surprised Game Informer lasted this long, considering the level of decline of print media, but it’s very clear that digital is the clear future.

I’m not really surprised by this because we have see a decline in print media over the years. The digital platforms have now become the primary source for gaming news and reviews.