Register Now
killamch89

Teen Music Trends: What Are Your Thoughts?

I've been curious about the music teenagers are listening to these days. From what I notice, genres and artists seem to shift rapidly, and social media plays a huge role. How do you feel about these trends? Do you think today's music resonates with the youth differently compared to past generations? What’s your take on the impact of platforms like TikTok on music popularity?

As a man in my thirties, I'm not gonna pretend like I know anything about when teenagers listen to, but there is absolutely no doubt that social media like Tiktok and Instagram has a massive impact on the music industry. A lot of the worlds most famous musicians would still be unknown nobodies if not for breaking through on social media. 

About two years ago now, I was scrolling through Instagram reels when I was served an ad for an indie artist, with a song I had never heard before. That song was My Kink Is Karma by Chappell Roan. I liked the sound of it, so I checked out some of her other songs, and absolutely loved them. She has an amazing voice, and writes really amazing lyrics. I followed her career and bought her album on vinyl when she released it last year, all the while she had a relatively small but dedicated fan base.

Fast forward to february of 2024, she releases her latest single, Good Luck Babe, and it absolutely explodes on Tiktok. In a matter of a few month, she goes from counting her streams in the thousands, to counting them in the hundreds of millions. She's playing some of the biggest shows out there, and just a few weeks ago plays for the largest crowd that has ever been at Lollapalooza 

10 hours ago, Anders said:

As a man in my thirties, I'm not gonna pretend like I know anything about when teenagers listen to, but there is absolutely no doubt that social media like Tiktok and Instagram has a massive impact on the music industry. A lot of the worlds most famous musicians would still be unknown nobodies if not for breaking through on social media. 

About two years ago now, I was scrolling through Instagram reels when I was served an ad for an indie artist, with a song I had never heard before. That song was My Kink Is Karma by Chappell Roan. I liked the sound of it, so I checked out some of her other songs, and absolutely loved them. She has an amazing voice, and writes really amazing lyrics. I followed her career and bought her album on vinyl when she released it last year, all the while she had a relatively small but dedicated fan base.

Fast forward to february of 2024, she releases her latest single, Good Luck Babe, and it absolutely explodes on Tiktok. In a matter of a few month, she goes from counting her streams in the thousands, to counting them in the hundreds of millions. She's playing some of the biggest shows out there, and just a few weeks ago plays for the largest crowd that has ever been at Lollapalooza 

Wow, it’s impressive to see how quickly an artist can rise to fame with the help of social media. Chappell Roan’s story is a testament to the power of platforms like TikTok. Have you discovered any other artists through social media who have had a similar trajectory?