Register Now
Lens

How Do Video Games Influence Our Perception of History and Culture?

I know that the video games can definitely shape our understanding of historical events and cultural heritage because games like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty can make history more accessible and engaging too. What do you think?

I understand the fact that games can be a valuable tool for exploring historical events but we need to be aware of the inaccuracies that maybe involved as well.

1 hour ago, Button said:

I understand the fact that games can be a valuable tool for exploring historical events but we need to be aware of the inaccuracies that maybe involved as well.

That's a very good point and I'd also like to add that games can preserve cultural heritage and traditions in a very unique way too.

Good point! I think games like Ghost Of Tsushima make learning history feel more interactive. I’ve also noticed that games often emphasize certain perspectives over others. Do you think they could be doing more to present a more diverse view of history and culture?

They actually do, more than we care to admit. This War of Mine (2014) is an example of a game that conveys the human cost of war and civilian struggles during the Bosnian war. Call of Duty also tells us a lot about WWII. 

14 hours ago, Kennysplash said:

They actually do, more than we care to admit. This War of Mine (2014) is an example of a game that conveys the human cost of war and civilian struggles during the Bosnian war. Call of Duty also tells us a lot about WWII. 

I think Medal Of Honor did a much better job of accurately depicting certain events in WWII. It's a pity that EA gave up on it after a while because of Battlefield's success.