Register Now
Lens

Is There Such a Thing as Too Much Realism in Video Games?

I know that realism can help to enhance immersion but too much realism can lead to unrealistic expectations and frustration. More so, it can lead to overemphasis on graphics over gameplay which is unreasonable.

I think too much realism can also make games less fun because some bit of abstraction can be very beneficial for the gameplay and it can enhance the overall enjoyment as well.

1 hour ago, Button said:

I think too much realism can also make games less fun because some bit of abstraction can be very beneficial for the gameplay and it can enhance the overall enjoyment as well.

Excessive realism can definitely blur the lines between games and reality and this can lead to confusion. The games should strive to strike a balance between realism and artistic vision.

That's a great point! I think when realism starts getting in the way of fun, it becomes a problem. Games are supposed to be engaging and entertaining, and if I’m too busy worrying about the exact physics of every little action, it can break that immersion rather than enhance it.

Can realism ever be too much? I don’t think so. If there are too much tricks and mechanics in a game that completely goes out of the world, I would not see the meaning in it. I want some real experience you know. 

There has to be a line drawn between realism and cumbersome, inconvenient game design.  There's a reason no FPS has accurately simulated thumbling bullets as you load them into a revolver.  The gory nature of the task is not why RPG's do not have you actually butcher and skin a wolf every time you claim materials or resources, like a pelt or meat.  Games don't have stuff like that because it's an awkward and dull waste of time.