Register Now
killamch89

What's the Most Unique Approach to Player Progression You've Experienced in a Game?

Have you ever played a game that had a really unique or interesting way of handling player progression or character development? Whether it’s through leveling systems, skill trees, story choices, or something completely different, I’d love to hear about the games that stood out to you.

One game that comes to mind is the Darkest Dungeon. In this game, managing stress and afflictions is what actually adds a whole new layer to the character development and progression.

On 8/15/2024 at 8:12 PM, Button said:

One game that comes to mind is the Darkest Dungeon. In this game, managing stress and afflictions is what actually adds a whole new layer to the character development and progression.

Your are absolutely right about the Darkest Dungeon. Another game that stand out to me is "Sunless Skies" - your choices on this game  also affects the gameplay as well. 

10 hours ago, Lens said:

Your are absolutely right about the Darkest Dungeon. Another game that stand out to me is "Sunless Skies" - your choices on this game  also affects the gameplay as well. 

My choice is the Nemesis System in Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War. It is one of the most unique approaches to progression I've encountered. Your enemies evolve as they defeat you or escape encounters, developing personal vendettas. They become more powerful and remember previous battles, which really shapes your experience. It's not just about leveling up your character; it's like the whole world is leveling up with you.

On 8/19/2024 at 11:05 AM, Lens said:

let me also add Disco Elysium to the list. This is an RPG game that use a thought cabinet where you can actually equip and manage different ideas and perpectives which can change the game’s narrative.

On 8/20/2024 at 8:49 AM, Button said:

let me also add Disco Elysium to the list. This is an RPG game that use a thought cabinet where you can actually equip and manage different ideas and perpectives which can change the game’s narrative.

Totally agree! The thought cabinet is a brilliant feature. It really sets Disco Elysium apart from other RPGs by giving you the ability to shape your character’s psyche and the story in unexpected ways.