Register Now
StaceyPowers

Which studios and publishers are the worst at marketing?

I’ve seen a lot of discussions over the past couple months about Bioware not being great at marketing (i.e. putting out trailers with tones that are mismatched for their games). What companies do you think are the worst at video game marketing?

I agreed that Bioware is not being great at marketing. I'd like to add Bethesda to that list. What I noticed is that they always seem to hype up their games too much, and then they fail to actually live up to expectations. 

Yeah, Bioware's marketing has been pretty rough, especially when you compare their trailers to the actual game. I feel like Bethesda could also be better. They seem to rely too much on their established reputation and hype rather than showing what’s new and exciting in their games.

On 8/19/2024 at 9:34 AM, Lens said:

I agreed that Bioware is not being great at marketing. I'd like to add Bethesda to that list. What I noticed is that they always seem to hype up their games too much, and then they fail to actually live up to expectations. 

I also know that Bethesda hype up their games and I think Rockstar Games is also bad at marketing as well. They are known to barely release any information or trailers, and then suddenly the game is out from no where.

On 8/20/2024 at 8:41 AM, Button said:

I also know that Bethesda hype up their games and I think Rockstar Games is also bad at marketing as well. They are known to barely release any information or trailers, and then suddenly the game is out from no where.

I get what you're saying about Rockstar’s marketing approach. They do tend to keep things under wraps until the last moment, which can be frustrating for fans. But some might argue that this strategy creates a lot of excitement and buzz once the game is finally revealed. At least their games are usually great. Bethesda on the other hand, they overpromise and under deliver constantly and then have to be saved by their modding community.

Bethesda are known to rush into game announcements and they often have buggy launches too . Rockstar’s games are always overhyped and the expectations are unrealistic.

7 hours ago, GameOn said:

Bethesda are known to rush into game announcements and they often have buggy launches too . Rockstar’s games are always overhyped and the expectations are unrealistic.

I'd have to disagree with the Rockstar games. Most of their games are quality and unlike Bethesda, they don't need the modding community to fix their games.

I know very well that Ubisoft is also very guilty of poor marketing and they often overhype their games. Oftentimes, I get disappointed and frustrated with their games.

17 hours ago, Lens said:

I know very well that Ubisoft is also very guilty of poor marketing and they often overhype their games. Oftentimes, I get disappointed and frustrated with their games.

Especially within the last decade. Ubisoft's quality of their games fallen off a cliff - I get so frustrated when I remember the Splinter Cell games and old Rainbow Six games that are iconic and seeing how generic and buggy their games are now.

On 8/29/2024 at 10:51 PM, killamch89 said:

Especially within the last decade. Ubisoft's quality of their games fallen off a cliff - I get so frustrated when I remember the Splinter Cell games and old Rainbow Six games that are iconic and seeing how generic and buggy their games are now.

Ubisoft, Bethesda, and EA have faced with lots of criticism for their marketing strategies. Overhyping games and misleading trailers have led to disappointment and frustration for garners. 

Rockstar Games does a very great job with marketing and game development. But I think EA is definitely one of the worst at marketing. They are known to focus too much on microtransactions.