Register Now
Heatman

Would you buy a sports team if you had the money?

I'm a very big fan of football with Manchester United my favourite team. If I have the money to buy the club with the Glazers willing to sell, I will not waste time to pay for 100% ownership. I love it when fans invest in their own club. It's just like how Ed Sheeran bought the minority share ownership of his favourite club Ipswich Town. 

Would you buy a sports team if you had the money?

Honestly, I wouldn't and it's due to the ever increasing costs of maintaining a football club. Yes, a club of Manchester United's stature will bring in money but to maintain that, you're going to have to be constantly investing squad improvement and have a proper management structure for the club. Otherwise, you'll end up like Todd Boehly's Chelsea just spending money on kids and big names with no plan in sight.

6 hours ago, Knight Barida said:

It depends on how much I have available to spare. The result is not always out there as we would want it to be. Most of the club owners have enough money that even if they don't make a profit, they won't bother.

Yeah, it makes sense that some club owners wouldn't be overly concerned with profits if they have the financial cushion. But I wonder, does that lack of pressure help or hurt the overall performance of the club?

On 8/22/2024 at 10:19 PM, killamch89 said:

Yeah, it makes sense that some club owners wouldn't be overly concerned with profits if they have the financial cushion. But I wonder, does that lack of pressure help or hurt the overall performance of the club?

The pressure is dependent on the club. A club like West Ham won't be pushing to win the league so a top 10 finish, for instance, would always be seen as a big achievement by the owners unlike what happened with Chelsea making top 10 and not getting into top 4.