Register Now
killamch89

Have Any Game-Related Skills Helped You in Real Life?

Have you ever noticed that skills or habits you picked up from gaming have actually benefited you in real life? Maybe strategic thinking from a strategy game, improved hand-eye coordination, or even better social skills from online multiplayer games?

13 hours ago, Knight Barida said:

Playing RTS games such as Dawn of War has helped me become a better strategist. It was more like I was super good at planning, and it was evident with the way that I work toward handling the many projects that I have at hand.

Personally, games like Disco Elysium have actually helped me develop better emotional intelligence and perspective-taking. The thought cabinet system in the game really made me think deeply about how different ideas influence our decisions, and I’ve found that useful in my real-life interactions.

If you try out real time strategy games like Starcraft and Civilization, it will improved your problem-solving skills. I was able to solve complex problems learning from these games. 

5 hours ago, Kennysplash said:

I play Tetris a lot, and it has subtle effects on how I want my stuffs to be well arranged and aligned. If there is a slight disarray of in the way I keep things, I feel the need to make everything look perfect. 

That's a great observation and I also want to chip in the fact that Tetris has indeed honed my spatial reasoning and I now pay attention to details. It's really amazing how it happened.