Register Now
Kane99

What are your pet peeves about buying from physical video game stores?

When it comes to buying video games at a game store, thrift store, or any store, are there any pet peeves you have when it comes to buying physical games? Whether it be used games or new. I think my biggest pet peeves are scalpers who buy up limited edition stuff and try to sell it at a higher cost. They're some of the worst, especially if you're a fan and just want that game or item they're inflating the price of. 

Another pet peeve is resellers or people who will go to stores, buy up all the cheap inventory, and will charge ebay or market prices on every game they get. Resellers are often as bad as scalpers imo, as they tend to go to places to get deals, and then go and sell them at a markup later. 

Another pet peeve is stores putting stickers or writing on the case, sleeve or disc. Gamestop has done this over the years and they've gotten better, but there are people who will sell games by putting stickers on the label even. That bugs me big time. 

What are your pet peeves when buying from game stores or any stores selling used/new physical games?

I totally get where you're coming from, especially about the scalpers and resellers. It's frustrating to see prices skyrocket on games you genuinely want to play, not just collect. One of my biggest pet peeves is when stores don't properly check the condition of used games. I've bought a few 'like new' games only to find scratches on the disc or missing manuals when I get home. It makes the shopping experience feel like a gamble sometimes.

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I totally get where you're coming from, especially about the scalpers and resellers. It's frustrating to see prices skyrocket on games you genuinely want to play, not just collect. One of my biggest pet peeves is when stores don't properly check the condition of used games. I've bought a few 'like new' games only to find scratches on the disc or missing manuals when I get home. It makes the shopping experience feel like a gamble sometimes.

I hate it when I get games from stores, and I begin to have issues trying to play that particular game. It is one of those things that can make me feel really angry and frustrated. I don't even always want to think about it at all.

13 hours ago, Knight Barida said:

I hate it when I get games from stores, and I begin to have issues trying to play that particular game. It is one of those things that can make me feel really angry and frustrated. I don't even always want to think about it at all.

I used to have that issue all the time when I bought physical copies of games especially used ones. All it took was a huge scratch on the disc and it wouldn't work.

Oh! I understand your frustration with scalpers and resellers because almost all of them are known to inflate prices and also limit availability. Another pet peeve is poorly maintained stores with disorganized shelves and that makes it so hard to find games. 

On 9/1/2024 at 3:04 PM, Lens said:

Oh! I understand your frustration with scalpers and resellers because almost all of them are known to inflate prices and also limit availability. Another pet peeve is poorly maintained stores with disorganized shelves and that makes it so hard to find games. 

Facts. A disorganized store is a huge turn-off for me as well. It gets even more frustrating when the staff don't know where to locate the games either.

13 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Facts. A disorganized store is a huge turn-off for me as well. It gets even more frustrating when the staff don't know where to locate the games either.

I don't really wanna start with the long lines, empty shelves, and missing pre-orders. There was one in my area, it was a disorganized store with clueless staff.