Register Now
killamch89

What annoys you most about the English Language?

English is a complex and evolving language, but there are definitely some quirks and inconsistencies that drive people crazy. Whether it's silent letters, confusing homophones, irregular grammar rules, or something else entirely, what aspect of the English language annoys you the most?

I’m fluent in English and was born in Britain. A few things annoy me - there’s many types - American, Australian, British, Canadian for example. Even though they may understand you some words may be completely foreign to English counterparts. 

On 9/8/2024 at 8:42 PM, Bizdustry said:

I’m fluent in English and was born in Britain. A few things annoy me - there’s many types - American, Australian, British, Canadian for example. Even though they may understand you some words may be completely foreign to English counterparts. 

Yeah - certain words are also spelt differently as well. In addition to that, they have slangs that's not in the regular English Language.

Silent letters drive me nuts. What is the actual purpose for them? And a word already mentioned, is colonel. Also, I speak American. The roots of American are in England, but that is about all American English and British English have in common. Slang in both places have no correlation between the two countries. Who here knows what “neden” is or what it means to call someone “ninja”? And how many slang words for “penis” do you know? There has to be THOUSANDS of words. Also, “fag” here is a slur against gay men. But I know it (did? does?) mean cigarette across the pond. Back in the 60’s fag meant cigarette here as well. The English language is royally fucked up from every angle. And no 2 English speaking countries speak the same English.

On 9/24/2024 at 7:05 PM, The Blackangel said:

Silent letters drive me nuts. What is the actual purpose for them? And a word already mentioned, is colonel. Also, I speak American. The roots of American are in England, but that is about all American English and British English have in common. Slang in both places have no correlation between the two countries. Who here knows what “neden” is or what it means to call someone “ninja”? And how many slang words for “penis” do you know? There has to be THOUSANDS of words. Also, “fag” here is a slur against gay men. But I know it (did? does?) mean cigarette across the pond. Back in the 60’s fag meant cigarette here as well. The English language is royally fucked up from every angle. And no 2 English speaking countries speak the same English.

I knew Fag as a cigarette growing up until I became a teen and then I learned it was also a slur for gay men.