Register Now
StaceyPowers

What is your personal favorite era of gaming?

To be honest with you, the PlayStation 2 era holds a special place in my heart. I like the innovative games and the memorable characters in classics like Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, and Final Fantasy X.

The Playstation 2/Gamecube/Xbox era in the early to mid 2000s holds a very special place in my heart as a gamer. We got so many great games and some very underrated franchises such as Mechassault, Primal and The Chronicles of Riddick.

7 hours ago, Scorpion said:

My favorite gaming era is The PlayStation 2 (PS2) and GameCube era between 2000 to 2007..

I must confess that the PS2 and GameCube era was so incredible. I love those iconic games . For instance, 'Shadow of the Colossus', 'Super Smash Bros. Melee', and 'The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker' are the games I played growing up. 

10 hours ago, Lens said:

I must confess that the PS2 and GameCube era was so incredible. I love those iconic games . For instance, 'Shadow of the Colossus', 'Super Smash Bros. Melee', and 'The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker' are the games I played growing up. 

I agreed to your assertions but for me, I like the local multiplayer experiences that I get from games like the Mario Kart: Double Dash' and 'Super Smash Bros.

For me it's 7th gen (PS3/X360). The 3d graphics were great without being excessively detailed (I don't need to see pores and tiny facial hairs), developers still knew how to illuminate environments (instead of slapping on realistic lighting, depth of field, and motion blur which actually make games look worse), complete editions had everything on disc, development cycles were reasonable, and patch sizes were much smaller.

I'm seriously starting to prefer 7th gen graphics over today's ultra-realistic look.

On 9/22/2024 at 7:24 PM, Lens said:

I loved those iconic games too; they were so fun to play with friends.  Nowadays, I feel like so much of the focus is on the graphics are the expense of compelling gameplay (do you need ambient lighting?  Sure, it makes walking through a forest super pretty.  But it doesn't actually make the game more fun to play)

On 9/4/2024 at 11:56 AM, Lens said:

To be honest with you, the PlayStation 2 era holds a special place in my heart. I like the innovative games and the memorable characters in classics like Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, and Final Fantasy X.

That was the era that I played most of these games with full force and passion. I had great time playing games during those periods when PlayStation 2 was the talk of the town.

The 16 bit era hands down is my favorite era of gaming. This was when platformers were the most popular genre of gaming, and there were so many different Sonic clones trying to beat the blue blur but none of them even got close! Plus the awesome turned based RPGs like Final Fantasy 5 and 6 were out, plus Earthbound.