Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games where you can’t comprehend how anyone plays on higher difficulty levels

For a kickoff, I need to make it clear that I see a game's difficulty or challenge as an entirely separate thing from how easy or hard a game is to actually play.  I would not describe the Dragon Age games as being especially hard, but they are not easy games to play.  I think it's that combination of action RPG and turn based strategy elements similar to Xcom or Balders Gate that, honestly, I don't think actually mix that well.  Turing the difficulty down allows the player to play the game more like a regular action RPG, so I wouldn't blame anyone for doing so.

I don't see that as a flaw in Dragon Age, just another way of doing things that doesn't "click" with me personally.  I've played plenty of other games, mostly JRPG's like Final Fantasy XII, Tales of Arise and Tales of Berseria that do incorporate a lot of stategy elements into a live action RPG serting. Those games handle the stategy elements in such a way that makes the two much easier to handle.  More specifically, the stategy elements are mostly about preparation.  Equipping the right gear, setting the right behaviours for partner AI and so on.  This lets the player just simply focus on the battle when it comes, and that makes the game more immersive and fun to play.

Oh come on it’s cool, I have been there as well and I completely understand difficulty with higher levels especially in games that call for boss battles like in the Dragon Age series. Casual mode is quite alright because it's just the story and the gameplay, 

On 9/6/2024 at 10:33 PM, killamch89 said:

Casual mode is there for a reason, and it’s awesome that you’re still enjoying the game! Some people just like the challenge of higher difficulties, but honestly, there’s no ‘right’ way to play.

I love this mindset of yours. You're absolutely right, there's actually no one 'right' way to play, and it's also all about our personal preferences. Some players thrive on higher difficulties, but for me, i enjoy a more relaxed experience. 

Edited by Lens