Register Now
StaceyPowers

Surprising/indirect ways games called you out?

I had an interesting moment in The Witcher 3, where I was in the bathhouse, and paused overly long next to one of the naked women. This game does seem to encourage you to ogle women (consider how many have their shirts half-open, lol). So, I was startled when the naked NPC said something like, “Are you staying then? It’s safer when you’re around.”

The moment really caught me off guard, as it seemed like I’d been very gently called out for my objectifying behaviour. I walked away feeling a bit guilty, hahah.

Anyone else experience any moments like this in a game?

That is an excellent example of a game that will indirectly shame participants into changing their behavior. The Witcher 3 can be quite philosophical and adult-oriented game and that moment is a perfect example of how such games make the players think. 

That's hilarious and kind of brilliant! I love when games subtly call out player behavior like that. It makes you more aware of how much the game is watching you just as much as you're watching it. I had a similar moment in Red Dead Redemption 2 where I accidentally shot someone I was trying to help, and the game just wouldn't let me live it down.

On 9/6/2024 at 10:32 PM, killamch89 said:

That's hilarious and kind of brilliant! I love when games subtly call out player behavior like that. It makes you more aware of how much the game is watching you just as much as you're watching it. I had a similar moment in Red Dead Redemption 2 where I accidentally shot someone I was trying to help, and the game just wouldn't let me live it down.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is absolutely known for its immersive storytelling. So, I'm not surprised that it would address our mistake in a meaningful way. It's almost as if the game is acknowledging our imperfections.