Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why do people rush through games?

I can understand people doing speed runs in games as a way to challenge themselves or compete, but why do people rush through games in general?

I know that I’m probably at the opposite end of the bell curve in terms of taking my time—I literally explore every detail I can of every room I enter in every game I play. But I often manage to clock 50% more time in games than most times I see posted online for completion. I can’t imagine blazing through games that fast; I feel like I’d miss so many cool details.

If one pays a lot for a game, it seems like one would want to get everything possible from it, and as much time as possible. So why do people rush through games?

I think a lot of it depends on how open world the game is. If you're in a confined space that is the exact same every time, it can get boring. Compare virtually any Final Fantasy game to a game like Castlevania: SOTN. Wide open world vs closed castle with the exact same map and path order every time until you reach the invert. Once in the invert you can choose the way you want to go at will, but prior to that the game has a set pattern for you to follow if you want to progress thru the game.

It depends on the type of game - I find that I like to explore in open-world games so I will take my time finishing it but with more linear games, I tend to lose interest unless it has a good story. Otherwise, I'll just play the main quest to complete it and that's that.

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

@The Blackangel That is true. There are some games with formats that can get redundant fast.

@killamch89 Ironically, a good story is more likely to cause me to push forward rapidly through a game, because I'm dying to know what happens next. I usually still try and take my time though and explore as much as I can.

Well, to be fair, I did rush through RDR2 because I was interested in how the story ended.

7 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Yeah a good story usually makes me rush through the game as well. Though in the case of Rage 2 I'm rushing through it just so I can consider it completed before reviewing it.

I suppose that is the downside of mixing work with play.

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I suppose that is the downside of mixing work with play.

That being said the story in Rage 2 is really not that good, so for the most part the game just doesn't feel interesting.