Register Now
Kane99

Take-Two's CEO reckons we're "ready" for $70 video games

Of course, now Take Two seems to be into the $70 pricetag for new games. I have to disagree with that, especially with how Take-Two is raking in the dough from GTA V all these years. I don't think they really need to do this. They make way more than enough money as it is with their games. And hell, Take-Two probably doesn't even have to release any new games. They can keep re-releasing GTA V and pushing people to buy shark cards all the time. They'll still make millions, and maybe billions more. 

Anyway, the CEO of Take-Two Strauss Zelnick, believes that gamers are ready for it too. Are you guys ready for it? I don't think so. Them charging $70 won't change anything, they'll still throw a ton of microtransactions and loot boxes at gamers. That's a given. 

Read all about it here - Eurogamer

Does it really surprise anyone? Take-Two interactive has always been a bunch of scummy, greedy publishers. Look at NBA 2K - a microtransaction and ad-filled glitchy mess of a basketball game that promotes gambling. All they really care about is ripping off their customers - they hardly care about quality.

Take-Two Interactive and Rockstar pay no corporate tax in the countries they're based in, so I'm ready for them to be free for the taxpayer, never mind being overpriced. Did they forget there's been a global pandemic where trying to get the systems to play these $70 games on is nigh impossible? Not to mention, £55+ (~$70) digital standard editions of games have been here for a good few years now, so the argument of game prices never going up and digital transferring the savings to customers is proven bunkum.

But sure, they're technically right. People will pay for it, just like they did when people boycotted Modern Warfare 2 for the £10 price hike "because people will pay for it", as Bobby Kotick had rightly pointed out before that game released.

Sales are becoming increasingly more common, especially with retail gaming on its way out in no small part due to the pandemic. I've no sympathy for the impatient grabbing these titles at full price or worse preordering.

That's bullshit. Jacking up the price and saying people are "ready for it" is nothing more than a slap in the face and a fuck you. Do they think that those of us on disability and food stamps, who are barely able to get by and often have to decide which bill to NOT pay this month can afford them raising prices because I am "ready for it"? I am READY for the bastards to DROP the price. How about $50 instead? That was the price of a new NES or SNES game off the shelves at Walmart or any other retail store that sold video games. What the hell was wrong with that? Also, in case you bastards haven't noticed, Nintendo is still around 30+ years later and doing very well financially.

So fuck you Take-Two. You just lost a potential future customer.

I think they are making the gaming industry suitable for the rich fanboys and the upper middle class. Oh well, I am sure there are other games studios who can replace them. We are not in monopoly system anymore. We have option in 2021.

On 3/10/2021 at 2:37 AM, skyfire said:

I think they are making the gaming industry suitable for the rich fanboys and the upper middle class. Oh well, I am sure there are other games studios who can replace them. We are not in monopoly system anymore. We have option in 2021.

It's not like I play NBA 2k or most of their other games for that matter so I'm not spending $70 on their garbage. In a pandemic, why do they feel the need to increase games to $70?

On 3/12/2021 at 12:51 AM, killamch89 said:

It's not like I play NBA 2k or most of their other games for that matter so I'm not spending $70 on their garbage. In a pandemic, why do they feel the need to increase games to $70?

They have honestly found the upper middle class spending on microtransactions and those sort of games that support it. It must be their data helping them for it. 

7 hours ago, skyfire said:

They have honestly found the upper middle class spending on microtransactions and those sort of games that support it. It must be their data helping them for it. 

Actually, due to the pandemic, a good number of gamers have really cut back on their spending so most people won't buy their games for $70.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:22 AM, skyfire said:

Who knows? I thought the same for nintendo exclusive games last inflation but people who have money continue to buy. And not a lot we can see changing as long as people fall for it. 

You do have a point and Nintendo does sell some pretty overpriced merchandise from time to time and people do still tend to buy them.