Register Now
StaceyPowers

What games have the most uncanny valley graphics or elements?

I think L.A. Noire is a great example of this. It was the first game afaik, that attempted motion capture for facial expressions, and it's great but terrible at the same time. It always seemed to me that the character's faces live a life of their own independent from their bodies.

Uncanny things really freak me out, I might have a slight phobia to it. Especially on humans, weird graphical bugs are more scary to me than any horror game intentionally can be. I mean floaty bodyparts, weirdly contorted bodies, or when the character turns their head 180 degrees. When the camera accidentally clips into the character's head and you see floaty eyeballs from behind, or an inner mouth floating, that's also up there.  But even with inanimate objects sometimes it happens that polygons deform to huge sizes, or even infinity. That also freaks me out big time.

As for intentionally uncanny designs, I recently played dishonored and dishonored 2, All the people in those games seem disproportionate with exaggerated facial features. At least I hope it's intentional and not just a botched job of a very lousy character artist.

On 3/23/2021 at 10:41 PM, StaceyPowers said:

What games have you played where the graphics are in the uncanny valley, deliberately or otherwise? What about other gameplay elements?

I can't recall the game name obviously because I find it very difficult to play games with such poor graphics not to talk more about remembering the name.